LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Use a barbell instead
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Merci4u wrote: »
    The one thing I find the worst is people who don't wipe down the equipment. I have to breath in your sweaty air, I don't want to sit in it too.

How about the sweaty old men who use their nasty towel to wipe down the machines instead of the gym provided paper towels and disinfectant spray!!

I watched a guy do this a couple times then took him the spray and paper towels and asked him to use that not his sweaty towel. He was quite indignant.

A few nights later I saw another old man doing something similar...only he was reusing a paper towel on several machines ( again not using the spray)

WTH do these old coots have against disinfectant? ??

This is one reason i hesitate to join a gym. Lol. Really.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ask to work in between sets or ask how many sets they have left. It could be that they are resting in between sets and using their phone as a timer. (I use the strong lifts app which automatically sets a timer in between my sets)

If the person is just diddling around on their phone and you ask to either work in or how many sets they has left, they will most likely wrap up sooner. If they don't wrap up sooner, ask one more time with the intent of going to the front desk.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I have a personal beef with whoever left that one treadmill running at whoknowswhat/mph.

...because I had my headphones on and didn't see the damn thing was moving and I took a hell of a fall. I still have a scar on my shin.

YES I know, I should've been paying closer attention, but who the hell jumps off a treadmill while it's still running???!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Use a barbell instead
    You're just moving the problem to benches or squat racks, not really addressing it.
  • rfihn
    rfihn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to point to the signs on literally every wall that say "The rest machines are in the hallway" with a picture of a bench. I doubt that would have worked either though lol
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    rfihn wrote: »
    I really wanted to point to the signs on literally every wall that say "The rest machines are in the hallway" with a picture of a bench. I doubt that would have worked either though lol
    She wasn't resting, she was stretching. Based on her answer, I'd say she's seen the signs and maybe had them pointed out to her before.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    this is relevant to the discussion:
    https://www.t-nation.com/opinion/12-gym-etiquette-commandments

You never know when you might talk to crazy though, so unless you're willing to put someone on the other side of the dirt using a dumbbell, just move on to different things.

I read that article, and while I agree almost completely, I find his attitude towards women's gym attire disturbing. People shouldn't care what others wear, women, and men, should be entitled to wear whatever gym clothes they find comfortable. But
    misogyny is so engrained in everyone's subconsious that we just continue to blame women becuae their bodies are just good for one thing: sexual attractiveness. BS.

• DeguelloTex
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    this is relevant to the discussion:
    https://www.t-nation.com/opinion/12-gym-etiquette-commandments

You never know when you might talk to crazy though, so unless you're willing to put someone on the other side of the dirt using a dumbbell, just move on to different things.

I read that article, and while I agree almost completely, I find his attitude towards women's gym attire disturbing. People shouldn't care what others wear, women, and men, should be entitled to wear whatever gym clothes trey find comfortable. But mysogeny is so engrained in everyone's subconsious that we just continue to blame women becuae their bodies are just good for one thing: sexual attractiveness. BS.
    Women should wear whatever they want to the gym. When what she wear molds to every crease and crevice in her body, though, she shouldn't be surprised when she garners attention. The same for men. And let's not pretend that men aren't ogled for their bodies, too, but not as many people know the word "misandry."
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I got so annoyed yesterday when I couldn't get to the squat rack without tripping over a bunch of dumbbells and a fully loaded barbell on the floor that NO ONE WAS USING. After my squats, I moved on to the bench press. Had to ask someone if they were done because of course they didn't re-rack their plates. Then I had to wipe up a puddle of head sweat because he couldn't be bothered to use a towel. Apparently I share a gym with a bunch of children who CANNOT clean up after themselves.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Use a barbell instead
    You're just moving the problem to benches or squat racks, not really addressing it.

Girl is sitting on machine texting.

Suggest OP uses barbell.

How is this not a work around for said situation?
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I bought a rack, a bench, and a barbell for my garage. SOOOO much happier now that I'm not trying to fight my way through a workout in a crowded gym full of rude people who are oblivious and everyone else who is pissed off at them for it. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ask to work in...especially if it's a machine...working in is really easy on a machine.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Eeeww!! Gosh. I can't stand unsanitary humans.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The one thing I find the worst is people who don't wipe down the equipment. I have to breath in your sweaty air, I don't want to sit in it too.

How about the sweaty old men who use their nasty towel to wipe down the machines instead of the gym provided paper towels and disinfectant spray!!

I watched a guy do this a couple times then took him the spray and paper towels and asked him to use that not his sweaty towel. He was quite indignant.

A few nights later I saw another old man doing something similar...only he was reusing a paper towel on several machines ( again not using the spray)

The lack of disinfectant will not kill you. I happened to visit an old school gym on vacation that was home to several Mr Olympia contenders. This place was in a warm weather city and the gym had no A/C ) , no spray bottles or wipes in sight. What was in sight were a few of the most muscular men most people have ever seen, a couple female fittness competitors (with figures most women on the planet would die for) and some regular Joes and Janes doing work and not concerned about wiping anything.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Use a barbell instead

Girl is sitting on machine texting.

Suggest OP uses barbell.

How is this not a work around for said situation?

I actually went the other way when I read that.... use a barbell (to take care of the problem). >:) I thought it was a joke suggestion! (Not that I would ever think to do that to anyone at the gym....noooo.)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This is why I am glad I have a home gym!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Learn substitute exercises for your program, whether they are with barbells or dumbbells or other machines.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

The lack of disinfectant will not kill you. I happened to visit an old school gym on vacation that was home to several Mr Olympia contenders. This place was in a warm weather city and the gym had no A/C ) , no spray bottles or wipes in sight. What was in sight were a few of the most muscular men most people have ever seen, a couple female fittness competitors (with figures most women on the planet would die for) and some regular Joes and Janes doing work and not concerned about wiping anything.

Jimmy-fallon-ew.gif
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    She will quit soon. In my experience the bench testers and those who think the benches are a table to leave their water don't make it through more than a couple weeks.

Unfortunately there is always a new bench tester to replace them. ;)