Bowflex

Options
The main thing I am missing from my workouts is strength training, but now I have recently received one for free(thanks to my big brother). I am wondering if people have actually seen results using the Bowflex?

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Lucky.

Don't they go up to about 25kg? Can't see why you can't see results with them, then. Just always make sure you're progressing with them in terms of the weight you're using for any given exercise.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you have room I would think that a bench/cage, barbell, some plats and some dumb bells would give you a lot more options for workouts. I did have a bowflex, used it maybe 5 times, sold it on craigslist. That is not to say it is worthless, I just did not like mine.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I would love to own one congrats
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I have one of the original versions (yes, it is over 20 years old). It is a good tool if you can’t get to free weights. I’d still consider supplementing it with some free weights if you can. But to answer your question, yes, you can build strength on one. Go for heavy, low rep exercises that focus on the big muscles (back, chest, quads, and hamstrings). Spend less time on shoulders, triceps, biceps, and calves.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,348 Member
    Options
    I bought one back in 2000, loved the results I got, gave it up due to space constraints after getting married and having to combine furniture in a small apartment. My version went up to 250# IIRC, great for everything except heavy legs, though I could have gotten an attachment to add another 200# if I'd kept it longer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    My main beef with Bowflex is that the rod technology is progressive contraction resistance only. There's no eccentric contraction which science has suspected causes the micros tears needed to break a muscle down.
    But it's better than not having anything at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • motivatedkarma
    motivatedkarma Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone