Exercise when your obese?

Options
Good Lord, where to start? It feels like just a work out to get down on the floor and back up again!

I go for walks but as the weather gets hotter I'd prefer exercise in an air conditioned environment.
What I am looking for is something baby step oriented to do in my own home until I build the confidence to join a gym or fitness program.

Fat girl yoga? I don't know. Thoughts?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Swimming? I know you have self confidence issues but seriously, swimming is a wonderful workout. Easy on the joints, burns good calories. Even if you don't swim laps, just get in the pool and move around. And you stay nice and cool :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Try looking for videos on youtube... there's tons of workout videos at all levels. I enjoy fitnessblender, blogilates, Jillian Michaels.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Mizz_Mo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try Barre3 online workouts. I am in the same boat and have been doing them for 3 weeks now and the results have been very inspiring. The workouts are low to no impact and offer modifications for those of us just starting out or with physical limitations. Here is a link for the free trial I used: http://www.barre3.com/onlinefreetrial/

It did charge me - but I contacted onlinesupport@barre3.com and they reversed the charge and said this was fixed. I am giving it to you just in case you need it.

Good luck!
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    try couch to 5k. You can do this outside on your own, you wont stay cool but you will see rapid improvement if you stick with it and that is SO motivating.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Mizz_Mo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh, and they have workouts that are all done while standing and using a chair for balance!
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking DVDs
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I started at 5'5 215 lbs. I started with 30 day shred and then i moved on to popsugar fitness videos on youtube which has a great variety an it was free! When i felt a little better I started doing beach body workouts. Id definitely check youtube for work outs.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I started at 325 pounds, mostly with walking, then I added in swimming and bought an indoor recumbent stationary bike. All were very low impact. I found the indoor bike, brand new, at Goodwill for $25, it was great on the super hot days last summer when I wanted to stay in air conditioning. Really, do whatever you enjoy, as long as it gets you moving!

Even at 85 pounds lost I'm still obese, now I mostly cycle for cardio and do body and free weights for everything else. Start slow, but it won't take long for you to be amazed at what your body can do!
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Swimming? I know you have self confidence issues but seriously, swimming is a wonderful workout. Easy on the joints, burns good calories. Even if you don't swim laps, just get in the pool and move around. And you stay nice and cool :)

I want to swim at my gym's pool but I am a little nervous about how I look in a bikini and others staring. Also I'd hate for the chlorine to dry out my hair.

OP, start anywhere. As long as you are moving, you are burning calories!! Walking, slow jog, elliptical, biking etc.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the way you look in a bikini don't wear one. A gym pool is not the beach, the people working out are working on themselves and probably really don't care what you're dressed in (appropriate swim wear) as long as you shower before you get in the pool.

Just did my first stint at real swimming in 30 years at my la fitness last night. Just joined last week. I've never gone to a gym before but at 40lbs overweight with a job that keeps me sedentarily standing my hips and back was sore and I was too tired when I got home late to exercise in any of my previously used workouts. (Step, Pilates etc) I decided swimming would be an attractive stop before I got home. The gym is open till 11pm, I usually leave work just after 8. I can attest no one cared what I wore. I wore a nice one piece I bought for my Vegas vacation last year, I was also tricked out with goggles and ear plugs.

I was glanced at by the 3 guys there then promptly ignored as they focused on their laps. I managed 14 laps alternating breaststroke, side stroke, backswim and then jogged once forward and once backwards. Took about 25 minutes, I had to pause at each end and rest, swimming is alot harder then it was when I was a kid!

But I'm feeling it all over today, arms legs, butt and core. Looking forward to it again. I was ignored walking in, ignored in the ladies locker room and showers, ignored in the pool and ignored leaving the gym. Suited me just fine!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Anything that will get your heartrate up, really. If you're extremely out of shape, it might be a good idea to consult your doctor, and/or get a stress test done so you're aware of how high you can safely get your heartrate going.

Walking would not cut it for me as a workout (even though I do 3-5 extra miles every day at work to burn off some calories) because my heartrate barely gets above 100bpm, which is 50-70bpm lower than what I need to hit for an actual cardio session. However, it might work for some other people. I wouldn't expect it to work for an extended period of time because the heart will adapt pretty quickly to the new load you're putting on it.

Jogging/running, swimming, biking, elliptical, high reps with low weights, etc. are all good forms of cardio workouts.

Don't expect to stay very cool though, even in air conditioning.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good starting point
    Mark Lauren's books; You are Your Own Gym and Body by You.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-You-Guide-Womens-Fitness/dp/0345528972/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

He typically has progressions for each exercise so you can makes adjustments (easier or harder) depending on your current fitness level.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Walking is easiest when you're heavier. Walk to start with and gradually add in weights when you start feeling like you're not going to die. :)
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Mizz_Mo wrote: »
    Try Barre3 online workouts. I am in the same boat and have been doing them for 3 weeks now and the results have been very inspiring. The workouts are low to no impact and offer modifications for those of us just starting out or with physical limitations. Here is a link for the free trial I used: http://www.barre3.com/onlinefreetrial/

It did charge me - but I contacted onlinesupport@barre3.com and they reversed the charge and said this was fixed. I am giving it to you just in case you need it.

Good luck!
    Just found the videos FREE! on youtube. Thanks for the tip.

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'd stick with walking and unless you have some medical issue that it would be dangerous to be outside... suck it up and go outside! :smiley: Being out in the fresh air is good for you and part of adopting a healthy lifestyle. The best times are in the early morning before the heat gets bad. Hiking trails are nice too, because they are usually shaded. Of course there's the treadmill at the gym which I might be using some too because I don't always want to suck it up and go outside either.

If you really want to stay in, I'd say beginner workout videos--you can find a lot for free on youtube. Buy a set of dumbells and start weight training, or even work on getting up and sitting down since you said that's an issue. Seriously, figure out some moves that that would improve your daily life--squats will improve ability to pick things off the floors, look at the lower shelf at the store; ab work to help with sitting up from lying position using just your ab strength, lunges to improve the picking of yourself up off the ground. Stretching to improve range of motion. Walking up and down stairs (or on a step made for step aerobics) to improve that capacity. These things were helpful for me when I was morbidly obese.
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started again at 300 lbs (lost 100 a few years before, got pregnant, stalled, ect) I did/still do Leslie Sansone walk at home dvds. Super easy, fun and effective!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've been collecting home routines that are appropriate for larger women.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/

I tell you, by gaining flexibility and strength, it's a treat to be able to dip down to pick something up.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I started with a Gazelle. Zero impact and a heck of a lot cheaper than a treadmill.

I sort of lucked into it. I was actually looking for an exercise bike on Craigslist.
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I started with pop pilates by blogilates. It is online and you are laying down majority of the time. So that helped lessen the impact of my weight but, I could feel my abs and such getting strong just over a couple weeks. I made modifications when I needed such as keep my head on the floor majority of the time until my abs got stronger to hold me up. I would check it out. It is the only thing I have stuck to for long periods.

Blogilates.com