New running trainers causing blisters

Options
kittynat
kittynat Posts: 25 Member
I am fairly new to running. I have recently completed the c25k program and am now running 5k three times a week.

I thought that I would get some new running trainers and was recommended a running shop near where I live.

They were great there and I got a pair of trainers (Brooks Aduro 2) which seemed the best fit for my feet.

I tried them on a run last night and the innersole rubbed on the arch of my left foot in particular.

I don't really want to get blisters and stop running now I have started.

Will the innersole soften up a bit the more I wear it? or is it worth taking the trainers back to the shop to see what they recommend? Or do I just tape up my foot a bit and carry on?

Thank you

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    The shoe won't soften up. It's *possible* you could develop calluses and get used to it. But why put yourself through the agony? Go back to the store and explain the shoes didn't work. It happens all the time. That's why there are so many brands of running shoes, and all the brands have so many models. :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Take them back and see if you can exchange or anything. If they don't fit now, you will only hurt yourself trying to "wear them in" and they will never wear to the right fit. Only to a "less aggravating" fit.
  • kittynat
    kittynat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Would a new innersole help? The shoe itself feels fine, it is the cushioned bit on the arch of the innersole which rubs?!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Try thicker or thinner socks. There is NO break in for running shoes, they fit or they don't from the beginning.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they're too narrow for you. If the edge of the insole is rubbing on the middle of your arch, I'm thinking they aren't wide enough. But yes, I'd take them back too. There is no room in running for poorly fit shoes.
  • Iseulte
    Iseulte Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Take them back. Shoes, in my experience, don't stop causing blisters. I've never had a problem with a running store accepting a return, even after several runs.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Did they sell you an additional insole as well as the shoe?

Personally I'd suggest taking them back, but equally it could be your socks.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Take them back. A new shoe shouldn't require an aftermarket insole to make it work for you.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Go back to the store and explain your problem. It may just be an easy fix like lacing differently or wearing different socks or it may be an entirely different shoe.