Realistic to lose 50 lbs in 5 months?

Options
I am getting married on October 10th (yay!) and I really want to get back to my "fighting weight" which was (sigh) about 50 lbs ago. I used MFP with a lot of success in the past along with running multiple times a week - but life changes, stress and injury got me sidetracked. Now, I don't have the time or ability (knee and ankle issues) to run like I used to - so, I want to know is it possible for me to lose 50 lbs in 5 months?

I am 37, female, 5'6" and currently around 228 lbs. I do a good bit of walking everyday and I am aiming to keep my calories at around 1,200.

Thanks!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Possible, yes. Realistic? Probably not.

You can probably lose 6-8 lbs a month now, but it will likely slow down as you approach your goal.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think so but there's only one way to find out, right? You'll lose weight more quickly at the beginning than at the end so 10 pounds might be doable the first month but the rate of loss will get slower and slower the less you have to lose.

Is finding out it's not possible going to change your mindset on losing the weight? It seems to me that you'd want to lose as much as you can whether that's 30 pounds or 50....
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    If you ditch a limb or two, yes. Just by diet and exercise, no...well maybe but it wouldn't be a very healthy loss. At 1200 calories per day, assuming you're measuring and weighing everything every single day up until the wedding, the best you could hope for is 8 pounds a month and that's still pretty aggressive. You'd be better off shooting for 25 pounds in the next 5 months.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no not realistic.

5 months = 20 weeks...2lbs a week=40lbs...but that being said you have to have a deficit of 7000 for 2lbs and at your current size that will not be easy...almost impossible.

1lb a week is doable and healthy tho...
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It's possible, not ideal. You may feel like crap the whole time too. 1200 calories is not a lot and may lead to ragequitting. Set your goal a little higher so that you don't feel like you're starving but still in a deficit. Patience and consistency are needed, also. Good luck.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't think so. When you account for the initial water whoosh plus a reasonable pace per week, I would say 35-38 pounds may be doable.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You can definitely make some good progress on your goals by then, but I wouldn’t set a deadline or an aggressive goal like that. You don’t want to stress yourself out unnecessarily - you will get there, give it time, and take it slow.

P.S. A good running alternative is using the rowing machine, if it’s something you’d like to try. I was benched from running because of knee stuff for a while and it was my go-to. Do check with your doc if it’s appropriate though, and keep in mind that exercise isn’t necessary for weight loss.

Best of luck :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Probably not realistic, losing weight isn't as linear of a process as people like to think.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Not realistic imo.
  • fitjerseygirl
    fitjerseygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes, I would be happy with 25-30 lbs - anything to look a bit trimmer in my wedding pics!!

I am curious about trying to lose weight without exercise. I have lost a considerable amount of weight in the past (70+ lbs) and always did it with diet and exercise - usually around 1,200 calories per day and a half hour on the elliptical plus walking about 30 mins per day. I found the weight came off at first, but over time not as much. I wonder if I was stressing my body too much?

I am going to experiment this week and next with eating around 1250 calories and just getting 'normal' exercise (I work in a city so have to walk around a lot) and see what happens.

And yes, I have found it SO HARD to keep off. I lost 75 lbs in my 20s and then again about 2 years ago - and have put it back on TWICE. I just can't keep up that lifestyle (low cal/working out) forever. I need to adjust/find something that I can do forever.

Thanks again!
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Not to be a downer, but 50 lbs in 5 months is maybe a little bit of a reach... 30-35 is more doable, but will still require commitment and consistency. Keeping a comfortable calorie deficit, and being as active as time and body allow is the way to go! Even if you don't meet your ultimate goal, you will look and feel so much better and healthier! Good luck! :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    No, it's not realistic.

You don't have to run to lose weight.
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would aim to be 199. Totally realistic. Anything else is a bonus. This way your under the 200s. We have the same starting weight but I want to lose my 50 pounds by Christmas. I have to be realistic.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    why did you wait so long??? even if you could... you would end up with excess skin issues... use MFP to create long term sustainable healthy habits and you will succeed... this is NOT for crash diets... you will just set yourself up for failure and future health issues associated with malnutrition and food deprivation.. NOT to mention the emortional stress you will be subjecting your loved ones too as you try to meet this Unrealistic goal.. so.. take a few long slow deep breaths... and find some compromises that will give you a chance to succeed. Emu out
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think you can probably lose 20-35lbs. I think 50lbs is pushing it, but you can definitely make good progress!
  • autodominio
    autodominio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Would you aim for 25 lbs loss and then surprise yourself if you actually lose 35.

Setting 50 or 10/month is just too much, specially because a drop like that means that almost inevitably you will gain it all back. But if you lose 25 you'll know how to do it and then can just carry that effort all the way to your weight goal.
  • kjrnTX
    kjrnTX Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs in 25 weeks back 10 years ago, don't know that I could have fired it up much more and continued a normal routine (12 hr. days). I targeted 2 lbs a week and it averaged out there. Used WW online and some very hard core determination to make it happen. Am 5'6" and weighed around 196 when I began. That would lead me to say 40 lbs ~is~ in your reach if you stay focused. 50 would be pretty tough. Best of luck to you!
  • fitjerseygirl
    fitjerseygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is right - I feel better already setting a goal at 30 and not 50.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the number is not realistic, but if you really work, you can get slimmer.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes, I would be happy with 25-30 lbs - anything to look a bit trimmer in my wedding pics!!

I am curious about trying to lose weight without exercise. I have lost a considerable amount of weight in the past (70+ lbs) and always did it with diet and exercise - usually around 1,200 calories per day and a half hour on the elliptical plus walking about 30 mins per day. I found the weight came off at first, but over time not as much. I wonder if I was stressing my body too much?

I am going to experiment this week and next with eating around 1250 calories and just getting 'normal' exercise (I work in a city so have to walk around a lot) and see what happens.

And yes, I have found it SO HARD to keep off. I lost 75 lbs in my 20s and then again about 2 years ago - and have put it back on TWICE. I just can't keep up that lifestyle (low cal/working out) forever. I need to adjust/find something that I can do forever.

Thanks again!

Well, exercise just doesn’t burn that many calories, unless you’re spending hours at the gym (and I definitely do not have the patience or inclination for that). To give you an idea, I just do a heavy lifting program 3 times a week, and maybe go on the occasional run if the mood strikes. I’m eating 1400 cals at 128 & 5’4" and losing about 1lb/week.

If I were in your shoes, I’d try setting a less restrictive calorie goal (wedding cake taste tests, YUM :yum:) and being as active as you can just with walking and such. I do always recommend lifting heavy weights - it’s such a great way to maintain muscle mass and get strong. Some good programs are Starting Strength, Strong Curves, or Stronglifts 5x5.

Then, once you’re closer to your ultimate goal weight, you can slowly add in calories, go to maintenance, and continue tracking your intake for a while to create the lifestyle change that will help keep the weight off :smile: