Need to stay on track

Options
I am new to the fitnesspal site and would like some friends to encourage me and vice versa. I have already lost 6 pounds and i just need to figure out how to stop snacking and start walking. I just want to be healthy since my cholesterol is high and I want to be able to play golf.

Replies

• oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to the site too but not new to the fight against snacking! :smile: Send me a friend invite - I'll be glad to help. One of my strategies against snacking is the great herbal teas - cinammon, vanilla, chai - great flavor and no calories. I drink a couple of cups a night which is when the snacking bug hits. I walk 4 - 5 nights a week but I do have the advantage of having a treadmill so no excuses, air conditioning and a t.v. with my walk! Best of success!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    I sent you a friend request :-) You don't have to stop snacking, just make better choices! I eat several times a day, but try to keep my snacks under 100 calories. Usually fruit, greek yogurt, veggies, almonds, a Tbsp of peanut butter,or a low cal cereal bar. Make an appointment with yourself (or even better yet--with someone else) to walk. No excuses! Rain or shine! Walk you neighborhood, discover new things, and walk longer and faster each time :-) Good luck!
  • Weavertracker
    Options
    Good start...I found using pedometer help me see how much I walk each day. My goal is to increase my walking by 10% on my average daily steps based on a week. Just added up your daily steps for one week and divide by 7. Much of it not walking longer but increasing my speed. Than increase that number by multiplying by 1.1.
  • Sarahstanul
    Sarahstanul Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to myfitnesspal, but not new to dieting. I have found only one other site that compares to this one, and it requires a monthly fee. So I think that this is great. I just need to figure out how to use this message board. My biggest problem is overcoming my daily cravings. Any advise is appreciated. Friend requests are also welcomed. :flowerforyou:
  • supersecretsquirrel1877
    Options
    Snacking is still a must in my life. I found that snacks that are small and require alot of hand-to-mouth action seem to satisfy my snacking urge better. Such as pistachios, almonds, dark chocolate chips, blueberries....you get the drift. As for walking, even when I can sit and tell myself a thousand excuses for just relaxing, I give myself a "mental" scolding that goes a little like this..."You know you will feel better when you get off the couch, set the dvr ( I am a t.v. junkie) and go for a jog. Sitting here letting your butt get bigger is never the right option. So get up and get your *kitten* together and get out there..." or something like that. I always feel better after and always am so glad I made the choice to be active rather than sedimentary. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    Good start...I found using pedometer help me see how much I walk each day. My goal is to increase my walking by 10% on my average daily steps based on a week. Just added up your daily steps for one week and divide by 7. Much of it not walking longer but increasing my speed. Than increase that number by multiplying by 1.1.

I actually started typing something about a pedometer, but deleted it. I was trying to not be so wordy :-) But you are right--a pedometer will give you an honest idea of how active (or not active) you are. Also, it's once to have a goal everyday--10,000 steps or more!
  • Knitnut17
    Knitnut17 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am new as of this week. I really like the idea of increasing steps by 10%. That seems like a reachable goal and one I could continue to build on. Thanks for the suggestion.