Protein Shakes / Recovery Shakes

Options
Hi There,

Until recently I have led quite a sedentary lifestyle. Desk job, no official "work outs", just walks and gardening and such. This year I made a commitment to do a mud run, and I have just started training for this. I'm starting with P90X3 6 days / week in the evenings, and am going to start incorporating a morning run. I'd like to aim for 5km / day with some longer runs because the actual race is 7km.

Anyway, I'm curious about the benefits of protein shakes and / or recovery shakes. Are there any that you would recommend for someone just starting out? I'm not looking to gain a ton of muscle, but I am hoping to lose about 15-20 lbs (I've got the weight to lose) and tone muscle. I tend to get the shakes during workouts and usually end up with a bad headache at the end, regardless of how much water I drink during. I'm wondering whether drinking a shake before or after each workout might help give me the extra boost that I need.

Thanks in advance, any input is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• albone
    albone Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not a certified anything but...

With your headaches, that might mean you need something heartier than water, like an energy drink. Powerade Zero is very good, IMO. I don't know that protein drinks would help with your shakes during a workout.

Protein drinks/shakes are usually for when you want to build muscle so what I'm saying is that it sounds like you wouldn't necessarily need them. It's basically to help repair and rebuild your muscles after breaking them down.
    BUT, I'm trying to lose weight and build muscle and just started using protein drinks. I like the Shamrock Rocking Refuel (delicious) and the Premier Protein Strawberries and Cream.
  • jillianfernandes
    jillianfernandes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you!

So protein shakes aren't necessarily something that would help PRE workout, then. I will try the Powerade and see if it helps!
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    if you are getting the shakes during workout then I would suggest making sure you actually have carbs to use for energy (which a protein drink would provide). I would suggest you drink one or eat something 30-60 min before your workout. I usually eat about 60 minutes before then get my work in then shake usually after or another small meal.

Protein shakes will NOT make you gain tons of muscle...its just another way to efficiently get that particular macro-nutrient into your system. Doing P90x, running, and heavy dieting will make sure you do not gain tons of muscle ;)
  • jillianfernandes
    jillianfernandes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Any particular shakes you would recommend, joepratt503?
  • joepratt503
    Options
    Personally, whatever has the best ratio (calorie/protein) is good. I like the blends, the ones that have some quick digest and some slow digest...the hardcore will only do straight 100% whey right after a workout but I would rather have a more steady release than a huge spike.

The only thing I would say is be careful when picking because some have a lot of fat and call themselves "meal replacement". On Performance makes a good one they sell at Costco, 100% whey (CryoSport..also at Costco) isn't necessarily bad and usually has good ratios, or you can always go to bodybuilding.com or tigerfitness.com and check out their stock. Quest Nutrition makes an AMAZING protein but its super expensive in comparison...but it definitely tastes better than any other protein I have ever had.

Hope this helps mate.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you've never exercised before I strongly suggest you avoid P90X and set your goals a bit lower. You really need to have a base of fitness established before you attempt a workout regimen like that. I've seen many people (some in my own family) who have gone from sitting on the couch to trying to do hardcore work like P90X. It usually ends with the person injuring himself or giving up because they get frustrated with their inability to do the exercises. Instead, try some dumbbell or kettlebell exercises with brisk walks or run/walk combinations. Once this gets easy (and that will probably be a while), then you can move to something more strenuous.

Just my $0.02. :)
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Coffee is great to drink before your workout a caffeine boost
  • AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Protein is a great way to supplement your overall macronutrient intake. If you haven't exercises much, I would recommend focusing mostly on your diet first and foremost and then add protein supplements when exercise is upping protein synthesis and your body can shuttle those nutrients where they need to go. As far as preference goes, I have tried many- personal favorites are Dymatize ISO-100 for pure quality, Pro-Jym for taste, and Optimum Gold Standard/Cellucor Cor-Performance Whey for Nutritional profile for value.
  • joepratt503
    Options
    Coffee is great to drink before your workout a caffeine boost

The OP was complaining about getting the shakes during their workout...caffeine is probably not the ideal choice.