Shin Splints?

Options
I just starting experiencing horrible pain in my shins when i run, i believe its shin splints. Does anyone have any ideas on how to treat or make it better? Thanks : )

Replies

• LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I remember in high school when we got shin splits my coach made us do toe taps. You get down on one knee (like you're doing a lunge) and just tap your foot on the forward leg. I think we'd do it for like two minutes and then switch and do the other leg. I hope that make sense?
  • sthrngl2007
    sthrngl2007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    yea..i think so. So you lean down like your doing a lunge, then have one of the foots forward on the heel and reach to tap the toe? Is this what you mean, loi..i probably didn't do much better trying to explain it.
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Haha. I think you have it right. I think if you're just sitting in a chair and tap your toe it'll have the same effect.
  • ssc0303
    ssc0303 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Shin Splints as well. I would like to do more running but I always end up with pain in my shins. I try to stretch sometimes and that doesn't really help. I rest for weeks and start again and they come back :( I'd like to know what will make them better also.
  • pipinan24
    pipinan24 Posts: 14
    Options
    i had them so bad a few weeks ago that i could barely walk. theyre still not fully better but I refuse to give up on running (ive only just started). I thought the runners I had were ok but I think they might be the culprit. That and the fact that I'm not used to running. It wasn't too bad today or the other day when I went so maybe it just gets better after you get used to it. I could be totally wrong but it seems to be the case for me.
    Oh, also make sure you;re running properly. That was another thing I was doing totally wrong even though it felt so natural.
  • sthrngl2007
    Options
    I never really thought about how i was running, is there really a certain way to run? I never really had a problem before with the pain until recently...sometimes it gets so tight that i just physically can not run anymore, it even hurts to walk. Idk...but i dont want this to keep me down : /

Thanks Yall!!<3
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had them during boot camp for the Marine Corps. I think it was from the running and backpacking. The doc gave me some plastic shoe inserts that I wore in my boots and after a few days the pain was gone.
  • sthrngl2007
    Options
    Yea I never had them when i went through boot camp but for some reason now i do. Plastic shoe inserts dont sound too comfy lol but thanks for the advice!!
  • nimmi1302
    nimmi1302 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are no fun! Have you tried a running store so they can assess your runnuing style? They can tell you if you are an over ponator/supinator, and suggest the best shoes for you. I have absolutely flat feet, and suffered from horrible shin splints. Once I gotnthe right shoes and got arch supports (store bought-Superfeet brand), I have never had that issue again.
    For now, don't run until they pain is gone. You might end up with stress fractures in your bone. Ice it, get the right shoes, and then begin running. Good luck!
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints every so often. I spend about 10 minutes stretching before I run, I've been doing about 5 miles (50 minutes ) for the last month and I will alternate between the stair- stepper and row machine, (the elyptical machine is too small for me at my gym). The Row machine doesn't hurt your legs and you can burn calories if you work hard. I was doing great on the treadmill, then I ran a 4 mile and a 3 mile outside race this week and unfortunately now have shin splints, but they are almost gone. Also stretching after a run is good. My gym is a pretty poor one, but at least there are a few different ways to get cardio in. When I start the run usually the pain is gone in the first 4 minutes as my legs 'warm up' . Right now in Mass it has been raining for the last week so doing cardio is fun as the humidity is 100 % - not. I agree with the last person who posted, if your body has pain other than muscle pain, you need to listen! At my age I'm more concerned with pain running down my arms or teeth when I run. LOL!
  • mikki3
    mikki3 Posts: 63
    Options
    My physiotherapist told me shin splints can be caused by having really tight calf muscles (which I do). I now do a 5 minute walking warmup before running to loosen things up and stretch a lot afterwards. I also started doing yoga, which seemed to help. Downward dog is excellent for the calf muscles!

Good luck!
  • sthrngl2007
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice yall!! : )