Kitchen Staples?

Options
moledew
moledew Posts: 71 Member
I'm trying to kick my habit of ready-to-eat meals but that's pretty much all I've ever known, therefore, I feel like I'm starting at square 1 in my kitchen. I think I'm going to ransack the fridge and cabinets tonight to rid the house of temptation but I don't really know what to replace my french fries and chicken rings with? What are some healthy staples I need at all times, or just some suggestions for my grocery list? I am on a limited budget and SO can't handle really spicy foods due to stomach issues. I'm not a big fan of pork and have always eaten like a 2 year old, hence, why I'm here today:/ Any suggestions guys?

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    if you're wanting quick meals then frozen chicken breasts (uncooked). frozen bags of rice (life saver). frozen bags of veggies.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a lot of frozen veggies at hand, especially spinach and peas. I'm not eating massive amounts of carbs but it's a good idea to have some brown pasta and rice and oatmeal. My weekly shopping list also includes low-fat sausages, chicken breast, canned tuna and shrimp. Tinned tomatoes are helpful for soups.

Right now I'm eating a soup made of vegetable broth, carrots, spinach, peas, leek and sausage bits. Cheap, healthy and filling.

• njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    frozen veggies and frozen rice are always in my freezer. I also keep chicken breast on hand and ground turkey. I also always have pizza dough in the freezer, perfect for a quick Friday night dinner.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    emeals.com for dinners, they have a great portion control program that gives you a week of dinners
    I really enjoy greek yogurt w/ berries, or waffles with pb and banana. Eggs (hardboiled or scrambled)
    Lunches are either left overs or a salad.
    Baking potatoes or red potatoes, steamable bags of veggies.
    You can and should still have the same things you're already eating, maybe less frequently, and definitely in smaller portions. But if you completely deprive yourself of what you're used to, it won't be long term. Make small sustainable changes.
    I still have everything I like, but I measure it and make an informed decision on how many calories in my day it will use.
    A couple other great websites and resources
    Skinnytaste.com
    Skinnymom.com
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents:

If you can go to Costco or a bulk food store and buy frozen chicken breasts (we get a 10lb bag for $25 at costco). If you're on a budget also try to grab a big bag of frozen veggies (mixed or broccoli if you like that). It pays off in the long run. Also keep an eye for when the things you do like (proteins especially) go on sale and then buy up some in bulk to freeze so you have it on hand if you can.

Whole wheat pasta or rice are good things to have on hand. Then it's really about spices or sauces--what kind of foods do you like to eat? Do you have a crockpot or slow cooker?

In our house (there's 2 of us) we take out 5-6 chicken breasts and put them in a tupperware container (still frozen) sprinkle with seasoning salt and let them defrost overnight. The next day I throw them all in the oven until cooked. I keep these in the fridge for lunches/dinners. Chop it up and shred it and mix in some BBQ sauce and that's tasty. Or instead of salt, you can put on some sort of seasoning before you cook it. Either way, chicken is a really good and versatile staple.

The veggies can be tossed in boiling water and drained and just eaten plain. Or you can add a little butter and salt and garlic powder. Or toss them in a pan to stirfry with some of the chopped up chicken and soy sauce and ginger and you've got a nice topping for rice.

I hope any of this helps... trade your french fries for a baked potato or potato wedges made fresh and you'll save on some calories there too!

• moledew
    Options
    AWESOME! I expected to get back all kinds of off the wall foods I've never heard of or organic only, expensive things. I think I can use these to cook for the family too. I really didn't want to have to prepare 2 separate meals then sit there while everyone else eats yummy stuff and I'm chewing on an avocado or something lol
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    moledew wrote: »
    AWESOME! I expected to get back all kinds of off the wall foods I've never heard of or organic only, expensive things. I think I can use these to cook for the family too. I really didn't want to have to prepare 2 separate meals then sit there while everyone else eats yummy stuff and I'm chewing on an avocado or something lol

Lesson 1 - "Chewing on an avocado" counts as "yummy stuff"

You'll learn :)
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I ditto everyone else of frozen veggies. I buy bulk chicken extra lean ground beef, lean ground turkey and freeze portions myself. I try to keep fresh onion, garlic, potatoes on hand. I also keep no salt added can tomatoes, veggies, beans, and stock. I keep dry rice, pasta and beans too. I keep tortillas around too, they make good pizza crust, wraps, tacos, burritos, breakfast tacos, quesadillas too.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Try really hard to just make 1 meal--it cuts down on the stress and feeling like you're denying yourself.

If you're doing tacos (or chicken tacos) have yours in a hearts of romaine (like this) instead of a tortilla (I happen to like the crunch). Or if you're doing burgers, they have buns and you do yours on top of a salad etc etc. Small substitutions but the overall taste is there and you don't have to do a lot of extra work!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Things I keep on hand:
    Chicken breast or chicken thighs
    Ground beef
    Frozen vegetables
    Frozen strawberries or blueberries
    Fresh apples and oranges
    Canned tomato
    Rice
    Pasta
    Greek yogurt
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Potatoes
    Onions
    Garlic
    Cereal, oatmeal
    Bread
    Peanut butter
    Dry beans, lentils or canned beans
    Spaghetti sauce
    Herbs and spices- cumin, oregano, basil, thyme, etc
    Fresh baby spinach
    Carrots
    Flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, honey, vinegar, oil, cooking spray, butter, plain yogurt, lemon juice, lime juice, condiments
    Frozen bean burritos, frozen french fries, frozen veggie burgers

You should start with some meal planning so you know what to buy for the kind of things you want to eat. You don't have to eat something new and fancy every day. It is okay to rotate a limited menu.

A lot of soups are easy to make. They freeze and reheat well.

• moledew
    Options

Lesson 1 - "Chewing on an avocado" counts as "yummy stuff"

You'll learn :)

I clearly have much to learn:)
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    For meats, I always have on hand:

Chicken breast
    Ground Beef
    Salmon
    Steak
    Eggs

Salmon takes about 17 minutes to bake at 350F and I put maple syrup on it with some other spices. Very tasty!
    Chicken takes about 35 minutes to bake at 400F and you can just season it and have it like that or shred it and make chicken salad out of it for lunches.
    Ground Beef I make homemade burgers and throw them on the grill, or fry it in a pan and make Mexican food.
    Steak - easy to throw on the grill.

For Veggies/Fruit, I always have:

Sweet Potatoes - for Vitamin A - I roast them and dip them in mayo
    Asparagus - Just steamed
    Romane lettuce - I have the occasional salad, provides Vitamin A
    Mushrooms - I can fry these up and have as a side or throw them into a sauce
    White onions - can be added to a lot of recipes
    Avocados - excellent nutritional profile, I make guac or have it just as it is with a little steak spice on top
    Berries - depending on what's in season - sometimes frozen
    Grapes
    Bananas
    Spinach - for when I'm into making shakes, lots of vitamins there.

I also always have cheddar and mozzarella cheese on hand and other dairy like milk, cream, etc. to be able to make sauces and stuff.

www.foodgawker.com
  • moledew
    Options
    agreenid wrote: »

Try really hard to just make 1 meal--it cuts down on the stress and feeling like you're denying yourself.

If you're doing tacos (or chicken tacos) have yours in a hearts of romaine (like this) instead of a tortilla (I happen to like the crunch). Or if you're doing burgers, they have buns and you do yours on top of a salad etc etc. Small substitutions but the overall taste is there and you don't have to do a lot of extra work!

Excellent tip! Thank you!
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Dried beans, rice, pasta, other grains are cheap and keep forever and can be cooked in bulk. Frozen veggies in the freezer. I keep bags of nuts and dried fruit and nut butters for snacks. Apples, pears, and oranges can be kept for a while in the refrigerator so you can buy bags of them at a time. I keep canned goods that can be mixed with my meal to improve it a bit, like canned tomatoes, mushrooms, olives. Bags of onions and potatoes keep for a while too. I have all kinds of bread products in my freezer--sandwich thins, tortillas, english muffins. They freeze and then thaw well which allows me to eat have a variety of breads without rushing to eat them all up.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    check out www.skinnytaste.com she has alot of awesome recipces that are family friendly!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Dried beans, rice, pasta, other grains are cheap and keep forever and can be cooked in bulk. Frozen veggies in the freezer. I keep bags of nuts and dried fruit and nut butters for snacks. Apples, pears, and oranges can be kept for a while in the refrigerator so you can buy bags of them at a time. I keep canned goods that can be mixed with my meal to improve it a bit, like canned tomatoes, mushrooms, olives. Bags of onions and potatoes keep for a while too. I have all kinds of bread products in my freezer--sandwich thins, tortillas, english muffins. They freeze and then thaw well which allows me to eat have a variety of breads without rushing to eat them all up.

Apples, pears and oranges should never be kept in the fridge.

• DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I always have on hand:

Chicken Breasts
    Ground Turkey
    Ground Lean (90%) Beef
    Lean Beef Steak
    Eggs
    Fresh/Frozen Broccoli
    Fresh/Frozen Cauliflower
    Fresh/Frozen Leeks (so yummy)
    Fresh Snow Peas
    Fresh/Frozen Corn (more for the DH)
    Potatoes/Flakes (can't get over why my DH prefers flakes. Well, I do. I make them too full of butter, cream, etc.)
    Onions
    Whole Wheat Bread
    Tortillas (I like corn, I just grill and HE likes flour)
    Pasta
    Brown Rice (these can go rancid, so I buy small size)
    Canned Tomatoes/Tomato Sauce (and fresh, from my garden)
    Canned Artichokes
    Canned Olives
    Canned Black Beans
    Canned Bush's Beans
    Canned Albacore Tuna in Water
    Peanut Butter
    Dry Beans
    Flour (White, Rice, Almond)
    Baking Soda
    Powder Soda
    Corn Starch
    Yeast
    Sugar
    Dry and Evaporated Milk
    Butter
    Mayo and Miracle Whip
    Mustard
    Ketchup
    Jellies/Jams
    Oils (Olive, Canola, Peanut - all used in my "Misto" $9.99; much cheaper than "Pam".)
    Spices too many to say LOL (but must have garlic, onion, CURRY, salt and black and white pepper.)

As others have said, don't give away all of the stuff that is "bad". Learn to live within you calorie's allot and enjoy your life. I eat a LOT of things that some think are "bad" foods but I have lost more than 30 pounds and have only 5 pounds until I start maintenance.

• tephanies1234
    Options
    Onesnap wrote: »

Never ever?
  • tephanies1234
    Options
    Onesnap wrote: »

Never ever?
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    And I buy lots of produce but I use it as fast as I can. Too expensive to throw it away from my hiding it in the fridge.