Searching For Running Shorts That Won't Make Me Look Fat !

Options
I just threw away 2 (poorly fitting) pair or running shorts from danskin now (the walmart brand). They made me look fat, and my stomach makes that weird "front butt" shape, when something is too tight and/or clingy.

Help a chica out ?

Stores I enjoy:
Torrid
American Eagle / Aerie
Aeropostale
Sears
Hot Topic (their slogan should be "release your inner fandomanic")
Forever21
Lands End (haven't bought from here yet, but I've heard good things!)
JC Penny

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I like the Old Navy compression tights...comfortable and cheap!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Winners! But I also don't care what I look like.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I got my running shorts from Ross. If you don't want your stomach to show, just wear a baggy t-shirt that covers your front adequately.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's hard to offer advice when we don't know what you look like. Also, sometimes workout clothing isn't going to be the most flattering. It's for working out. Sometimes you have to accept function over fashion.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I like the Old Navy compression tights...comfortable and cheap!

I second this!!! At first I will admit the thought of compression was like uh no, this girl is not doing that. But when I tried them on (and got them on!!! lol) they're like second skin and I love them! I wear them even when I'm not running.

Seriously!!! No chafing and they suck it all in. The compression capris are waaaaaay better than the pants (in my opinion) and better than shorts. I was wearing the capris for running when it was 30 degrees C here last week. They're cheaper than like the nike version (even though I love nike running too!). Gosh don't even get me going on running gear, I could talk for hours on it lol.

Also - this might be TMI - but I never used to wear thongs however with compression pants and running I highly recommend wearing a thong. Some people go commando, that's not for me, but if you don't wear them buy a couple pairs to try for running. They make a huuuuuuge difference.

Feel free to reach out/friend me if you wanna chat some more . . . :)
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree, try Winners (TJ Max/Marshalls). The prices are pretty decent and there is a good variety.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I wear Fabletics. I prefer their compression capris -Rio Runs are my fav, but I also have the Suva run short - the waist band is wide enough to hide the lower belly pretty well. Click through my referral link if you decide to check it out: http://www.fabletics.com/invite/angel_grove_/
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at walmart... I love the way they fit.. my other place to buy running shorts is Target..
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    sometimes workout clothing isn't going to be the most flattering. It's for working out. Sometimes you have to accept function over fashion.

^^^^
    This
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Target near you, but I just got a couple of pairs of their shorts and I love how they fit!
  • helenlovesruby
    helenlovesruby Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do you have to wear shorts. Longer pants are more flattering. If you wear a top that covers your stomach with a curved hem that should flatter your shape.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Why compression? I get biking shorts or rowing shorts. The extra fabric catches on the gear but running? Skin tight anything makes my skin itch. Plus pockets. Which brands have real pockets? I often buy guy sweats because men are apparently more deserving of proper pockets.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's my pocket. And I can wear it with anything.
    https://flipbelt.com/
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    cj94404 wrote: »
    Why compression? I get biking shorts or rowing shorts. The extra fabric catches on the gear but running? Skin tight anything makes my skin itch. Plus pockets. Which brands have real pockets? I often buy guy sweats because men are apparently more deserving of proper pockets.

I prefer compression because it reduces any chafing, the fabric wicks moisture away, and I don't have all that extra weight or bunchy fabric like you would with normal sweat pants/gym shorts. I sweat. A LOT. With compression tights/capris, I don't feel like I'm peeing my pants, LOL. Plus, they stay in place - I'm not constantly picking wedgies.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    cj94404 wrote: »

I prefer compression because it reduces any chafing, the fabric wicks moisture away, and I don't have all that extra weight or bunchy fabric like you would with normal sweat pants/gym shorts. I sweat. A LOT. With compression tights/capris, I don't feel like I'm peeing my pants, LOL. Plus, they stay in place - I'm not constantly picking wedgies.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I sweat a lot too and compression bottoms don't get that wet/heavy feel to them. They really also stay in place as mentioned above.

They can be kind of tricky to get one but once they're on, man they just make the biggest difference in running. I don't wear compression tops, but I do wear moisture wicking tops because of the sweat issue again.

Also another poster mentioned the flip belt - those things are awesome too! I'm not tiny so I'm sure I don't look as awesome as the models wearing them do but the flip belt also stays pretty much in place, doesn't roll and holds a decent amount of stuff.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just pay attention to where the waistband sits on me and how wide it is. The wider the better-helps hold the belly in vs cutting into it. Always a long shirt for me. And longer shorts.
  • Kristyai3
    Kristyai3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just saw some new shorts at Walmart that had the compression layer with a baggy running short type layer over the top. I was in a hurry so I just looked very quickly, but am planning to pick some up.