Pilates good for changing shape?

Options
Hi there, I have just started doing pilates (about a month or so) and I *think* it's started to make a difference to by body shape - flatter stomach, leaner legs etc. but I'm not sure if I'm just seeing a difference because I want to! Has anyone been doing pilates for a bit longer and can confirm that it makes a difference? I never feel like I'm working all that hard because it barely breaks a sweat :-S xx

Replies

• redxmasqueen
    Options
    Pilates and the Lotte Berk workouts are amazing for changing body shape!!!! I swear by them!
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I LOVE doing pilates. And YES it does make a difference! I played volleyball and basketball in highschool, so I was in pretty good shape. However, I found out after doing pilates for 4 months at the end of last year and beginning of this year that I was in better shape after doing pilates than I ever was in high school. I lost a ton of inches doing pilates!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I would bet that if you are seeing a difference that you actually are! Most posts I read in regards to seeing a change are quite the opposite. Usually there's a 20-30 weight loss but no results seen. Good for you!
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Here is my thing with Pilates. I teahc pilates, but I am not a huge fan of it. If your already in great shape, like very close to having the body you want, then pilates can help you tone and define up. If you are trying to burn calories and your goal is loss fat, then no, pilates isn;'t for you. It MAY help take some inches, but is not a "fat burning" workout, its a muscle building workout.
    The best way to tell is measure. Pilates is great for the last 5-10 pounds.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I supplement my bootcamp and zumba classes with a weekly pump class that uses free weights but primarily pilates exercises. After going for about 8 weeks, I've gone down about 2 pant sizes! I think our body shapes are fixed, but as far as toning and losing inches, I say it's entirely possible! Worked for me!
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    Maybe take measurements beyond the standard neck, waist, hips...try your bicep circumference, the largest part of your thighs, calves, etc. Then you'll know for sure as you go forward!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    From friends who have done a lot, it is designed to build that long, lean muscle look. So you're observations are probably correct. Keep it up!!
  • emmacummin
    emmacummin Posts: 23
    Options
    Aw great, thanks everyone! I'm not too far off the weight I'd like to be, so fancied more concentrating on toning up and things. I really enjoy pilates, so I guess that's reason enough to stick with it! Thanks again, you're all really encouraging :-) xx
  • phenomeva
    phenomeva Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for asking this. I was wondering the same thing. I've never done pilates before but I'll try anything that won't bulk my thighs :)
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Pilates is great for toning! Especially with the bands!
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    Options
    I love Pilates too.

It's supposed to give you that long, lean muscle look (make your legs, arms, and abs slimmer).

But how many days a week should I do them? I have been doing it like 3 times a week. Should I bump it more or less? LOL!
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    I had done pilates for 2 months (quite a while back), once a week for an hour with a trainer and lost 2" in my waist! The instructor used the ball, the band, the mat, the roller... I haven't had as much success doing that stuff at home on my own as I did with an instructor who really knew what she was doing. But every little workout helps!
  • sewsinthesouth
    Options
    I don't normally teach Pilates, but I subbed for someone today and taught class for the first time in about 4 years. I felt like some of the students would have been better teachers than me! They were in awesome shape! After the class, I didn't feel like I had done anything, so I went for a 30 minute run in the small amount of time I had left.
    I am totally a cardio junkie and don't feel like I am working out in Pilates.