Cooked pasta? How many oz in a cup?

Options
Hi I'm trying to count the calories in my supper before I eat it. Its soy spaghetti and its already cooked. I'm getting so frustrated because I just want a simple way to figure this out.
is 5 oz one cup of cooked spaghetti? All the interenet will give me is dry conversions. That does not help me.

Replies

• bearchamp87
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to go by fist size- don't eat more pasta than you can pick up with your hand
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    2 ounces dry is about 1 cup cooked...I cannot tell you what it is cooked ounce wise- but just use a one cup measuring cup.
  • blacktallon
    blacktallon Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks!
  • blacktallon
    blacktallon Posts: 38
    Options
    So can I write 2 ounces for one cup?
  • lbv1017
    lbv1017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes. 2oz dry yields one cup cooked
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The shape of the pasta willl effect the weight as it will effect the amount that would fit in a cup. The only way to be accurate is to actually weigh it.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    8 oz is a cup usually but for pasta I have no clue because I weight it out dry.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It really varies also on how 'done' you cook it - 'al dente' pasta is firmer, thus has absorbed less water, than softer pasta. So it will weigh less and take up less volume cooked, but doesn't mean its any less calories then the more cooked stuff cos it's only water-weight

When I make pasta to take for lunch, I find an 80g (nearly 3oz) dry serve of penne once cooked al dente SQUASHES into a 1c container. (loose it's more like 1.5c).