Time between workout

K_saine
K_saine Posts: 58 Member
I used free weights for my triceps on Sunday and they are still sore. I've heard that you have to wait atleast a day for your muscles to repair themselves or you'll just be breaking down muscle. Would I be fine to work those muscles today or should I wait until all the soreness has gone?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    you should workout again...but really, you should get on some kind of program...just doing triceps workouts isn't going to get you anywhere fast.

I'm almost always a little sore...if you're waiting to not be sore, you'll probably never workout.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Just for clarification, you break your muscles down in the gym and build them up when you are resting.

However, 48 hrs between working muscle groups should be fine especially if they are sore. I wouldn't go full tilt on a tricep workout today since they are sore, but some light weight work should help with the DOMS.
  • K_saine
    edited May 2015
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    just doing triceps workouts isn't going to get you anywhere fast
    I do biceps as well with my triceps but my biceps are a little stronger than triceps and are nowhere near as sore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    K_saine wrote: »
    I do biceps as well with my triceps but my biceps are a little stronger than triceps and are nowhere near as sore.

My point is that your resistance training should focus on your body as being one complete machine, not a bunch of isolated parts. Your body is one complete machine and should be trained accordingly. You could also think of it like building a house...a house needs a strong foundation...the foundation of any good resistance routine should be full body compound movements...things like bicep curls and triceps work are like light fixtures and appliances...they are important, but not nearly as important as your foundation and your walls, etc.
  • K_saine
    K_saine wrote: »

My point is that your resistance training should focus on your body as being one complete machine, not a bunch of isolated parts. Your body is one complete machine and should be trained accordingly. You could also think of it like building a house...a house needs a strong foundation...the foundation of any good resistance routine should be full body compound movements...things like bicep curls and triceps work are like light fixtures and appliances...they are important, but not nearly as important as your foundation and your walls, etc.

That makes sense. What are your recommendations for finding a program? Such as is there a good website or a good movie series etc.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream Fitness, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves...