Getting Smaller, No Change on Scale, No Exercise

Options
So, i've been logging in on MFP for about 1 month, maybe more and i am definitely getting smaller but no change on scale! I haven't been exercising either so can't find an explanation. Any ideas? thanks :smile:

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    You might be losing weight, but it's being masked by water retention from sodium intake or hormones. But to really know, can you open your diary?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? How many calories are you eating? What is your height, weight and age? Can you open your food diary?

Typically, accuracy and consistency is what prevents people from losing. And with no exercise, it's harder to create a deficit.
  • KristiMcD90
    KristiMcD90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not weighing food but only eating foods I can measure etc. I'm eating 1330 calories a day (mostly under). I'm 5"6', 11st, 25yo. How do I open my diary? (Sorry, newbie)
  • KristiMcD90
    Options
    I opened my diary.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I checked it, but you just started right? Your diary doesn't look consistent yet :) Or at least I hope that's not all you're eating :) I must say, it does look like you're eating not enough. I see one 1,300 cals day which seems good (I wouldn't go lower, definitely not 1200 or lower) but also a couple 900 cals which definitely is too little for you. I also miss healthy veggies, fruits, protein, carbs etc. Do you know you can also view and alter your macros?

I also see a lot of empty days. Take your time to get used to logging, but you really can't expect results at this moment without consistent logging. This also includes weighing your food whenever you can. Try to this for breakfast and lunch when preparing in the morning, or check on packaging how much something weighs and make a good estimate how much of it you consumed. With the scan functions, you can scan a lot of products on the go with the app and MFP will tell you what it is, how much a portion is etc. :)

Good luck! Try to be consistent and see results.

With regard to the scale, our weight fluctuates daily. Even throughout the day! Try weighing only once a week for a while, I'll think you'll start seeing results matching with what you see in the mirror. And in the end it's more about how you look and feel than the number on the scale!
  • KristiMcD90
    Options
    Thanks myfitterlife! Yeah I've not long started/got used to logging everyday. I don't have scales in the kitchen yet, will definitely invest. I do however only use/eat food that is already portioned so I can log accurately and the scan function is great! Also love that you can use URL for online recipes as that's where my meals usually come from! Think I'll switch to measurements rather than weighing myself and get exercising!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Just looking at May, you have 4 blank days and one day with only 188 calories worth of snacks logged (I'm assuming that's a partially logged day and you didn't just eat 188 calories on the 10th?) That means that 40% of the days so far this month haven't been logged. What's happening on those days?

You're severely undereating the rest of the days, only making it over 1,000 calories once in the last 12 days. There are a lot of generic options, which could mean that you're eating more than you realize (those are kind of notorious or being low). Are you being medically supervised on this diet?

Overall, I'd say you need to rethink your calorie goals and tighten up your logging. You're going to burn out eating like this and you could be doing harm to your body. I'm not talking about "starvation mode" or any of that sort of thing. But if your logging is accurate and you're keeping your calorie goal this low, then you're going to miss out on key nutrients. Your fat and protein are already low and I can't imagine that you're getting enough of things like iron, calcium, vitamin D, etc. Those can really come back to bite you later on down the road.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes, what diannethegeek says :) And do invest in a scale, I promise, you're gonna be so surprised. I learnt that I over- and under estimated a lot of weight of my portions. It's really useful and will also help in better estimating portions when not at home (although still tricky). Plus, make sure you always have fruit and vegs on the go, since those are easy to log (per piece) plus if you under/over estimate, it won't make a significant difference in calories