Healthy food at Disney World?

Options
mhulgan
mhulgan Posts: 101 Member
I'm heading to Disney World with a bunch of family on Thursday. My immediate family's plan is to eat breakfast in our hotel room and pack picnic lunches, but then eat at the parks for dinner. Any tips on what to eat that won't completely derail my healthy eating habits? Or any tips on being the healthy eater on vacation without being annoying ;)

Replies

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    They actually do have healthy options, if you look for them! I recall having salmon and couscous at one of the quick service places while I was there. It's not difficult to find healthy options such as salads, chicken breast, and veggies at most menus. They also have stands with fresh fruit. Plus, you can pack in your own snacks and food.

You can also view the menus online ahead of time. I like doing this so I can mentally plan ahead of time what I'm ordering.

I went to Disneyland in January and came back the same weight I left. (Of course, running a half marathon also helped a bit!)
  • mhulgan
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about the online menus!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Considering all the walking around you'll be doing, I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure to pack a healthy lunch, then you should be able to indulge a bit at dinner. Don't go crazy, but don't stress about it either. Same thing I do at the State Fair. I gave up trying to figure my calories consumed, but considering I walked around for 5 hours, I figured that negated a lot of it! XD
  • sydkins432
    sydkins432 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I went to disney world, my fitbit logged 23,000 steps! Make an educated guess, or the menu thing but don't stress about it too much!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. It is hot. :)
  • mhulgan
    Options
    Thanks :) I am curious to see how much I walk there. In my normal day, I walk anywhere from 12k-15k steps, so hopefully my legs will be prepared.

I've been at a plateau for a while, and I really don't want to gain on vacation, so I'm trying to be smart.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    They have lots of healthy options. Salads, salmon, grilled veggies. If you just ask your server to substitute things they are happy to. Have a fun trip!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    With all the walking you do at Disney, I wouldn't worry too much. Also, all the food in the park is so expensive that I found my wallet was a pretty good preventative device to keep me from overeating!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I go to Disney a lot and also help others plan their trips. You will be walking a lot. Way more then most people expect! So don't forget that you will still need to fuel your body to keep up with the increased exercise you will be getting. Nothing worse then getting sluggish at Disney!

Are you looking for quick service? I would guess so since you didn't say anything about having any table service meals reserved. Columbia Harbor House in the Magic Kingdom has a wonderful salmon and broccoli plate, a great tuna sandwich, and a tasty vegetarian sandwich with hummus. Sunshine Seasons at Epcot has a lot of great options including salads, grilled chicken, salmon, fish tacos, and wraps.

If you go to Allears.com you can find menus and get a great idea of places you can hit up!
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just try not to add drink calories just water or diet soda and I bet you will be fine with meals. Enjoy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You're not going to derail anything with one meal...or a vacation...or a holiday or other special occasion. Try to look at the bigger picture...eating out a meal at Disney World is completely irrelevant to the big picture regardless of what you choose. Also keep in mind that you will be walking your *kitten* off and on your feet most of the day; in my experience, you can pretty much eat whatever and it all comes out in the wash when you're that active.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know this is a paleo blog, but she gives some good options for a disneyland trip. Not sure if disneyworld offers the same, but could use it as a guideline. http://againstallgrain.com/2015/03/12/gluten-free-dining-at-disneyland-part-iv/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Even 23k step only gives you 500 extra calories or so... very easy to undo it.

But yes, there are plenty of healthier options there, and they are good about putting the sauce on the side if you ask.
    Athijade wrote: »

Are you looking for quick service? I would guess so since you didn't say anything about having any table service meals reserved. Columbia Harbor House in the Magic Kingdom has a wonderful salmon and broccoli plate, a great tuna sandwich, and a tasty vegetarian sandwich with hummus. Sunshine Seasons at Epcot has a lot of great options including salads, grilled chicken, salmon, fish tacos, and wraps.

If you go to Allears.com you can find menus and get a great idea of places you can hit up!

I went to those two places too. Hotels have restaurants too with decent options, I remember grilled chicken and veggies etc.

For what it's worth, I was still on the high end of overweight when I went there, ate what I wanted from the hotel for Breakfast (French toast, chocolate chip pancakes and bacon, whatever), had a protein bar for snack, had one 'cheat' meal a day (pizza, spaghetti with meatballs, a pastry and a German hotdog... no fried stuff), was careful for the third meal, and I maintained my weight there.
  • mhulgan
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • mhulgan
    Options
    epawelek wrote: »
    I know this is a paleo blog, but she gives some good options for a disneyland trip. Not sure if disneyworld offers the same, but could use it as a guideline. http://againstallgrain.com/2015/03/12/gluten-free-dining-at-disneyland-part-iv/

Wow! That food looks amazing - yummy and healthy! I guess the last time I went to WDW the options were just burgers, chicken strips, and fries at the counter service places. Looking forward to this trip much more.