Vitamin overload

Options
I am newly vegetarian and I eat a lot of fruits and veggies. Lately some of my vitamins have been like 52%-400% over my daily limit! Just wondering if that's an actual problem or am I going to be okay?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I googled this for you. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/nutrition-vitamins-11/fat-water-nutrient?page=1

Interesting tidbit: If you are ever trapped in Alaska with only the carcass of a polar bear to eat, you'll want to avoid the liver as it contains so much vitamin A that it will be toxic to humans.
  • TarrynnVigh
    TarrynnVigh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! Very helpful :)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    The article I googled says that water-soluble vitamins were previously thought not to be harmful. That would include your vitamin C. I had originally typed that, too. But apparently thinking on that has changed, and even water-soluble vitamins have a ceiling.

I agree that you probably shouldn't worry about vitamins in food, if you're not taking supplements, but I guess it could get tricky if we don't define food vs. food-like products. Some of the packaged foods would be fortified with vitamins, and could count as more like a supplement than a food. If we're talking straight-up fruits and veggies, though - I really can't imagine overdosing on a vitamin from them. But I know that you can wind up with orange skin from eating too many carrots. So, now I have to go google that.
  • tiona83
    tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I recently over dosed on Vitamin D. It was a big error not only on my GP and Chemist but I also blame myself. No long term damage but I did learn one thing. If your concerned about something follow up on it/ do your research.

Sounds like you would benefit from finding a vegetarian support group. They would defiantly be superior to answering your question regarding any concerns.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Yes, taking mega-doses of even water soluble vitamins can be a problem. Mega-doses of Vitamin C, for example can cause one to become "habituated" and when it is stopped, can result in a "rebound scurvy" (scurvy is a disease caused by a Vitamin C deficiency).
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    That having been said, vitamins are vastly safer than pharmaceuticals. I wouldn't worry about getting too many vitamins in food, as they are better absorbed and utilized than a supplemental form because of the co-factors involved. To use Vitamin C for an example again, the co-factors of rutin and hesperidin, which one gets in many foods that are rich in C, helps the body to utilize and get better tissue saturation of the vitamin C.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to OD on Vitamin C as the body quickly sheds the excess. The orange tinge from too much vitamin A/carotene is not a biggie either. A general rule of thumb is to watch the elements/metals like Zinc, Calcium, and Iron.