Healty taco/mexican recipe

Options
Jess6901
Jess6901 Posts: 14 Member
I have been craving mexican food here lately. I am trying really hard to be good and avoid it. Does anyone have any good recipes?

Replies

• steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    I actually had shredded chicken tacos tonight. Yum! The only bad thing I can think that I put in that dish is the sodium in taco seasoning but you can make your own homemade that is not high in sodium.

What I did was put in 2 cups of water, some chopped onions, a packet of taco seasoning and 1 pound worth of chicken breast in a pot and let it come to a med/high boil for 10-15 mintue, then lower the heat down till it's down to a soft boil and cover with lid that's not closed all the way and let it cook like that for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, I take the lid off and turn up the heat a little bit so the remaining water will reduce and same time checking to see if chicken is soft enough that you can shred it apart with a fork. Keep going this until there is little or no liquid left.

I ate this taco with loads of vegetables. I sauteed onions and bell pepper using spray canola oil. I used a little of the fat free cheddar cheese and fat free sour cream. I had 3 tacos that was only 415 caloires and it was so filling!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    i ate the best tacos yesterday, they where talipia fish that was grilled, it had some lettuce and salsa, with a corn tortilla... very very good.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I use turkey burger and add cumin powder, paprika, chili powder, garlic and onion powder. I don't have measurements because I just kinda look and see if it looks right. I then make a homemade salsa with tomatoes, cilantro, onions, lemon, lime, cumin powder and apple cidar vinegar. I put this on top of romain lettuce for a taco salad. I use plain non fat greek yogurt for sour cream sub. This is all good with rice too:)) I sometimes mash up an avocado for guacomole as well:)) Very yum:)) Sorry I dont have measurements...its kinda something I throw together:)) You can google some or go to the "search" tab under message boards and type what your looking for in the search engine and see if that helps:)) Good luck!!!
  • vanb0052
    vanb0052 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My typical taco filling is:

1 lb ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
    1 can kidney beans
    1/2 onion
    3-4 chipoltes in adobo (more or less depending on how much heat you like)
    1 tbsp of the adobo sauce
    1 tbsp splenda brown sugar
    juice of 1 lime (sometimes I throw in a bit of zest too)
    1/2 cup of tomato sauce

Then I use whole romaine leaves as my "shells" and top with some homemade corn salsa, lite sour cream, and a bit of fat free cheddar. It's awesome!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey and low sodium taco seasoning. If you plug it into the recipe tool, it comes out to be less than 100 cal per serving. I usually use about a quarter cup or less per taco. It's about 150 calories for three hard taco shells. Not too bad at all. And now I want tacos...
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I make a taco salad like this:
    Combine Meat, Pico, Tortilla Strips, Cheese, and Lettuce:

Meat/"Meat"
    - 1 lb. lean ground turkey or 1 pkg. of Morningstar Farms veggie crumbles, cooked and browned in a skillet (if meat)
    - about 1/2 a package of low-sodium taco seasoning
    *combine meat with the seasoning and about 1/3c. water, cook another 3 min.-ish

Pico:
    - a few or more (4?) roma tomatoes, chopped
    - about 1/2 red onion, chopped
    - 3-ish jalapenos or serrano peppers, chopped
    * mix and let sit for a bit so the flavors come together

Tortilla Strips:
    - 2 to 4 yellow corn tortillas (depending on size)
    *cut up with a large knife or pizza cutter and brown in an oven on a cookie sheet (350F-ish) until dried out and slightly browned

Lettuce:
    - One bag of romaine hearts or 4ish c. comparable lettuce, chopped

Cheese:
    - about 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Let me know if this makes sense - I've made it so many times I normally just eyeball it all (and I made it up in the first place, so whatever :)). It should serve two, with about half of the meat and pico left over. There's no need for dressing given the seasoned meat and pico. :)

*edit: Avocado is a great addition to this too! :) Maybe a little lime? Also, this is awesome in a huge bowl. Enjoy!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i would think if you make it yourself , choose what you put in it , can't be to hard to make it healthy
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    I always do the good old tacos-regular way, shells & tortillas. ..just using light/low cal , sour cream. etc & ground tukey instead of hamburger. Hmm its time for a taco tuesday:wink:
  • sonjavenae
    sonjavenae Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This sound's good and I am going to have to make it.

I use turkey burger and add cumin powder, paprika, chili powder, garlic and onion powder. I don't have measurements because I just kinda look and see if it looks right. I then make a homemade salsa with tomatoes, cilantro, onions, lemon, lime, cumin powder and apple cidar vinegar. I put this on top of romain lettuce for a taco salad. I use plain non fat greek yogurt for sour cream sub. This is all good with rice too:)) I sometimes mash up an avocado for guacomole as well:)) Very yum:)) Sorry I dont have measurements...its kinda something I throw together:)) You can google some or go to the "search" tab under message boards and type what your looking for in the search engine and see if that helps:)) Good luck!!!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I just had a really good Mexican Lasagna tonight -- first time for Mexican in a very long time. It was from the South Beach recipe book, and it uses salsa, ground turkey, whole wheat tortillas, cottage cheese, low fat monterary jack, and ff sour cream. About 250 calories / piece. YUM!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I used lentils to make "taco meat" last week. I also make my own seasoning: sauteed onions and green peppers, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano and tomato paste. We have been having taco salads for awhile now (no bowl) and my partner was really skeptical about the lentils, but he went through them fast!
  • Jess6901
    Jess6901 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good. I'll have to try it. Thanks!
  • supersecretsquirrel1877
    Options
    There is a really good no sodium taco seasoning on Shine (thru Yahoo). Google it, very much worth it! I am very computer illiterate and can't figure out how to post links and such...sorry.