burning visceral ( belly) fat

Options
I'm female and carry a lot of weight around my middle. I lost 22 pounds last year and have maintained the loss. My middle looks better but is still out of scale with the rest of my body. I would love a waist. Any advice?

Replies

• StereophoneyGaz
    StereophoneyGaz Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Sadly you lose weight all over and not in one spot, we all carry it differently sadly
  • RNChristie33
    RNChristie33 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of women have success with stubborn belly fat once they weight train
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Visceral and belly fat are not the same thing. Visceral is deep & around your organs. I believe it goes away fairly quickly compared to other areas.

And no, you can't target which area of the body the fat comes from.

If you have lost X number of pounds, that still does not tell us what your body fat percentage is. If you want definition, you must weight train and continue to lose more body fat. They have picture scales online but I think 15% is a good number for me. That is what I am shooting for right now.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yep, you just have to keep losing overall fat. Even with weight training it's slow going for many of us.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I read this sometime ago, that you lose weight on your body in the order of the way you gained your weight. Do you think this is true ?
  • helenlovesruby
    helenlovesruby Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Even when I was thin I always had a belly!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Weight training will definitely help. I did weight training, combined with a little cardio, and was able to drop my BF% from mid-30's into the low 20's over the course of a year. No spare tire at that percentage whatsoever. (That was my first rodeo, back for another round.)

Women need more essential fat for body functioning than men, so you can look really nice and fit at a higher BF% compared to a man.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Runngurl43 wrote: »
    I read this sometime ago, that you lose weight on your body in the order of the way you gained your weight. Do you think this is true ?

I have heard this as well. I'm not sure if it is true or not. I cannot remember where I first started putting on weight. It was too long ago. I have stretched skin though so my belly looks worse than it is IMO.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I have heard this as well. I'm not sure if it is true or not. I cannot remember where I first started putting on weight. It was too long ago. I have stretched skin though so my belly looks worse than it is IMO.

it's a good guide line. And if you look at typical trend lines- women pack on weight low (generally) and then when they lose- they get definition in their arms first.

it's not a hard and fast rule- but it is a solid trendline.

So- odds are OP- if you've always had a belly- you're going to be fighting it for a long while... but if you aren't weight training- you should be. that'll go a long way to helping redefine your body currently.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Even when I was thin I always had a belly!

Depends on how thin you were?

If you really were thin, and still had a belly, you might want to take a look at your posture.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

If you're a woman, I think this also depends on your age and how long you have been overweight. A lot of women will gain weight around their middle and get larger breasts as they get closer to menopause. So, in your younger years you may have gained weight mostly in hips and thighs (and lost in those areas first), but in middle-age it often shifts to other areas of the body. Dang hormones.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    lose more weight.

it comes off where it wants. if you still have 'fatty' areas (that you dont like), theres more to lose.

weight training and lifting heavy can produce some really nice results too
  • helenlovesruby
    helenlovesruby Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys,