Gym membership

Options
Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my dilemma: I'd like to join a gym near my home, but monthly membership (with my child) is almost $100/mo. I'm a SAHM and we're on one income, so $100/mo is definitely a noticeable hit to our budget. My husband wants to buy the membership, but I feel "guilty" getting the membership since I've been able to lose weight (almost 15 pounds) with just walking/jogging, and watching my diet.

So what do you think, is a $100/mo gym membership "worth it, " even though it's relatively expensive? Have the folks that achieved their weight loss goals been successful w/o going to a gym? There's other, cheaper gyms in my area, but they're not near my home and do not offer 2hr daycare. (Daycare would be a huge plus for us since my husband has a hellish commute, comes home totally tired and worn out, and sometimes does not have the 'energy' to watch our son for 1+ hours while I go jogging).

Replies

• ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ask about a trial period. Sometimes the only way to know if you're comfortable with the expense is to try it out.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I think that's pretty expensive, but if child care is a huge issue it might be worth it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I would talk to the gym and see if they can give you a lower rate. Say that you are on a tight budget and can't afford a 100 dollars a month.. Most will budge in order to get your business.

In all honesty, if what your doing right now is working and you don't feel the need for a gym, then don't do it. As long as your exercising thats all that really matters.
  • Cori615
    Cori615 Posts: 100
    Options
    Sounds expensive maybe you should buy some workout DVDs instead sounds like your doing fine
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Wow - I love love love my new GYM membership...but wow - I'd have a hard time with $100 - mine is $40 and it's $67 for a couple. Do you have any other GYMs avail to check out?? I really do love going - it's SO much better than what I was doing at home! Also if you don't have to do a contract (I don't) you could give it a go and see what happens. Trial period idea is a great idea!
    Much luck to you!
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think with child care included it is a great deal.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Wow..that is a chunk of change! My schedule doesn't allow time for the gym...(they don't open early enough, or stay open late enough)...so all my workouts are at home. If it's important to you and you can swing the dollars do it...if you'd rather spend the $'s on something else - do your workouts at home!

Good luck to you!
  • denise3636
    denise3636 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am not sure where you live, but that seems awfully high to me. I belong to two gyms (the YMCA at home - full family membership, and the one near my office), and I don't pay that much a month combined. I would check out some other place before committing to that. Most gyms offer free or very inexpensive childcare.
  • Skaren
    Skaren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi,

A bit of background before i voice my thoughts. I have lost 55 pounds since 2008 (5 more to go...) , i have had two children since 2008. I owned a gym for 8 years, i am a personal trainer and teach group fitness classes (including strollercize) part time and the rest of the time, mommy!

People always ask me my professional opinion about how to loose weight. Of the many tidbits, i always start by saying that 1) you have to choose a workout you enjoy, 2) you have to choose a workout that fits your schedule, 3) you have to choose a workout that fits your budget.

If you don't like it or if it's a hassle to get there on time or if your family finances are stretched to the limit and stressing you out, the chances you will continue with you workout plan longer than a couple of weeks are slim.

So if 100$ a month will make you commit to working out regularly, go for it. If the gym offers programs you enjoy and want to go back to, go for it. If the gym has QUALIFIED trainers that help you and motivate you, go for it.

You can get in shape at home. All you need is a good pair of running shoes. I don't know how old your kids are but pushing around a stroller provides great resistance and great calorie burn! The kids can follow in a bike trailer, giraffe bike, or knapsack. There are many creative ways to work out with kids...you tube has loads of videos.

You could consider spending the 100$ per month on a personal trainer who could come to your home and refresh your programs every 4 to 6 weeks. the only equipment you really need (aside form attire) is a couple of resistance elastics and a mat. You can add to that a step and an exercise ball and you have all the equipment you need.

Are there drop in day cares in you community (mine has one three mornings a week for 5$ an hour)? are there mom and kid exercise classes? Do you have another SAHM that would swap child care hours with you so you could work out and she could too (or run errands, or go to the spa, or have a nap! LOL)

If you do choose the gym, go for a trail period to make sure you are enjoying it. Check your local consumer protection laws in case you want to cancel your membership early.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Keep it up...100$ a month is not much to spend to be healthy and to set a good example to our kids.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Check on corporate or health insurance discounts, those can help. Our family membership is $30 a month but I know that is a crazy low price! But you work hard all day, if the $$ is affordable then I would say go for it, while you can loose weight without a gym you do need some you time!