Realistic to lose 50 lbs in 5 months?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I don't know what happened to my message there. Anyway, I was saying I figured you were joking but thought I'd elaborate for the inevitable "but a too big dress would need alterations too" commenter.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Ugh. I don't know what happened to my message there. Anyway, I was saying I figured you were joking but thought I'd elaborate for the inevitable "but a too big dress would need alterations too" commenter.

Oh I see :) That is a great point, btw.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46 pounds since January 1st, it is within reach if you can eat right/light strength train/cardio 6-10 hours a week. The margin for error is very slim/In other words I can count on one hand the days I have been over in calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    scubasuenc wrote: »
    Personally, I'm not a fan of setting a specific weight goal in a specific amount of time. I think it is more important to set two daily goals - exercise at least 30 minutes per day and eat within calorie limits. If you do those two things the weight will come off.

Yeah, I think most people do much better focusing on process goals like that.

I don't know why a certain percentage of posters get all upset when anyone suggests that a goal isn't realistic or a good idea--"oh yes, you totally can lose 5 lb/week!"

Maybe because I haven't been a lifelong dieter I don't really have my finger on the pulse of this aspect of dieting culture, but it reminds me of the posters that seem to think it's mean to question any crazy fad diet or not to encourage doing it (no, I totally think the cabbage soup diet is for you!), and who insist that someone who isn't losing is probably gaining muscle because she's been walking a lot.

I don't think that kind of thing is helpful.

NONE of this is directed toward OP, who seemed to me to have a perfectly sensible attitude.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

There's this one guy in my gym, he speed walks on the treadmill. You should see the sweat pouring off him.

How much you sweat is not an indicator of anything. Some people sweat profusely at the drop of a hat, some people never do.

Well, Mr. Sweaty is also ripped as all get out, so he's in shape.

I made my comments on you and your attitudes about other people and exercise on another thread.

Honestly, I think you presume and judge way too much.

Ellipticals can be hard or easy depending on how you set them.

Since when is Zumba the benchmark of fitness?

Anyway, for the OP... it's really hard to say because you can never predict how weight loss will progress. I tend to agree with those who feel that 35-40 pounds is a more realistic number to expect. You might lose more than that, you might lose a little less. It's important to do things in a way that preserves the most lean body mass and doesn't compromise your health.

• gadgetive
    gadgetive Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married Oct 5 - yay us. I started at 174. I'm currently trying to lose at least 20 pounds before my wedding (but 30 pounds would be even better!). Last year I got a herniated disc and pulled out my back, which caused me to be almost completely inactive and put on a bunch of weight. I was even higher than 174 at one point but I don't know because I didn't have the heart to weigh myself. I started eating better (and moving more) and lost some weight but I was kinda stuck at 174. I thought it might be a thyroid issue, so I went to do some blood work and the doctor said I might be insulin resistant - yikes - so I'm really trying to step up my weight gain and lose the weight.

I've been doing the 1200 calorie thing. I try to limit my carbs but not go completely too low because I know that's not sustainable (for me at least). I aim for 100g of carbs a day and 100g of protein. I don't watch my fat too much, but I do try to avoid fattier meats because I find they leave me hungry.

Because of my back I'm doing super low-impact stuff because I don't want to pull it out. So, I just do 30 min brisk walks for the moment. I used to be able to do hour or two hour walks easily before, but now I can only do about 30 min before my back starts hurting. It sucks, but at least it's something. I'm sure I could try more high-impact stuff but I really don't want to chance it.. at least not before the wedding.

I know 1200 calories might be low, but since I'm being kind of inactive I'm thinking it's not too terrible. I try to eat small meals throughout the day and my diary is open to friends so II try to be open book. I've found that eating out is pretty much impossible though on 1200 calories, so that's the tricky part ;)
  • lizznagelmiller
    lizznagelmiller Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No cheat days, no soda, limited artificial sweateners & watch carb fat protein macronutrients (around 40,20,40 % is good) and only use heather fats avocado, almonds etc ...I have lost 40 lbs in 3 months so yes it's possible especially if u have recently gained the weight.
  • lizznagelmiller
    lizznagelmiller Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    And at least 30 minutes cardio a day plus 30 minutes strength training
  • fijigurl
    fijigurl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am getting married on October 10th (yay!) and I really want to get back to my "fighting weight" which was (sigh) about 50 lbs ago. I used MFP with a lot of success in the past along with running multiple times a week - but life changes, stress and injury got me sidetracked. Now, I don't have the time or ability (knee and ankle issues) to run like I used to - so, I want to know is it possible for me to lose 50 lbs in 5 months?

I am 37, female, 5'6" and currently around 228 lbs. I do a good bit of walking everyday and I am aiming to keep my calories at around 1,200.

Thanks!

• fijigurl
    fijigurl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    fijigurl wrote: »
    I am getting married on October 10th (yay!) and I really want to get back to my "fighting weight" which was (sigh) about 50 lbs ago. I used MFP with a lot of success in the past along with running multiple times a week - but life changes, stress and injury got me sidetracked. Now, I don't have the time or ability (knee and ankle issues) to run like I used to - so, I want to know is it possible for me to lose 50 lbs in 5 months?

I am 37, female, 5'6" and currently around 228 lbs. I do a good bit of walking everyday and I am aiming to keep my calories at around 1,200.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I think it is possible with discipline diet and work out. Aim for 2.5 lbs to 3 lbs per week - lots of veggies and natural sugar only. Cut the salt and use Mrs Dash instead. 30 mins of cardio with weight training for at least 30 mins. I would recommend this 5 times a week.
    Is it possible - yes. Is it realistic - no. It is all up to you and your dedication to your goal.
    Congratulations once again!
  • Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    In another thread, a guy has claimed to have lost 163 pounds in 78 days, so anything is possible. Even if any semblance of maths or nutritional information we have ever learned falls victim to that anomaly. Good luck.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Thanks!