Increase Sodium in Diet

Options
Hello! I'm looking for tips on how to increase sodium in my diet. I know, I know, people can't believe that I'm actually trying to increase my sodium. However, I have a medical condition. One of the symptoms is that I have very low blood pressure, and have a problem with my blood pooling. I'm on medication that helps retain salt and water to increase my blood volume, which in turn raises my blood pressure and increases circulation. I had a checkup this week and it turns out my sodium levels have barely increased in the past 3 months.

I have recently begun dieting again (after a couple month break due to stress) and I'm trying to find ways to increase my sodium levels, in a healthy manner. Any suggestions?

Replies

• hartland45
    hartland45 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've just come across your question when I did a search to find any information about exactly the same thing. Did you get any helpful suggestions? I too have low blood pressure which hasn't been a problem in the past but now I'm getting episodes of feeling faint or actually fainting. My blood tests have shown low sodium. To complicate matters I have MS and I'm on a variety of drugs for that. It all got too much for me last year and I had given up on mfp but I'm trying hard to get back on track having put back 5kg. I can hardly believe how low the sodium is in the foods I'm logging when I check the nutrients! Did you get any helpful replies?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Do you add salt to your food? Get a good quality mineral salt, not table salt.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Do you like soup? Canned soups are generally sodium bombs, as well as many packaged soup mixes.

Also adding soy sauce or teriyaki will up your sodium, as well as a lot of prepackaged cooking sauces (check labels, but I have some sauces that are 680mg for one 1/4 cup serving)

Frozen meals and canned foods in general are very high in sodium, and it's much less noticeable than when you salt foods yourself.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Let's see Ranch, canned anything really, frozen meals, any seasoning with salt in it, lunchmeat, some cheeses. I know all this because I have the exact opposite problem so those are things I either don't eat or very rarely.
  • tpilews
    tpilews Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sodium bicarbonate in water is an easy way to up sodium intake.