shall i weigh?

Options
Hello everyone :* i have a question..do u weigh yourself to check your progress? Or do u use the measure tape..coz recently my waist started shrinking but my weight is going up any tips?

Replies

• dmiivanov
    dmiivanov Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Measure tape is better.. ;) You could be one of those lucky people who can build muscle answer burn fat at the same time.. Have you been getting stronger?
  • Sarahchoclateeater
    Sarahchoclateeater Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights..just a bar..bcoz i have apple body shape my fat is all upstairs..i think it is the reason why iam gaining?
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I weigh and use a tape measure. The weight may stay the same or even go up a little, but the measurements are still going down. Good enough for me!
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would do both - sometimes it is more practical to weigh-in than to measure. I, for one, am so uncoordinated with a tape that I am never confident that I am measuring in the right place, pulling tight on the tape, reading correctly and that's not counting the times that I lose the tape.

As for the scales, they are a bit bgt for me to lose and I can use them the same way every day.
  • Sarahchoclateeater
    Options
    Thx every one :)
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I currently do not measure however can tell if i'm losing inches from my jeans falling down! but I do weigh. I think when I get to a lower weight I'll start measuring but I highly doubt I'll turn 50lb into muscle without losing any so the scales for now do their job haha
  • Sarahchoclateeater
    Options
    I have been lifting weights..and gained about 6lbs..is it from lifting? I have been afraid to weigh my self again
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at least twice a week to track my progress/Starting to lift weights 3x week to tone and tighten..
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use both.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights..and gained about 6lbs..is it from lifting? I have been afraid to weigh my self again

it's probably water retention from muscle repair / change-up in exercise - it certainly isn't muscle yet, particularly not in a defecit

just keep drinking water and eating adequate protein (0.8-1g protein per lb of LBM(

if you're logging properly it will go down

an easy answer is to ask do you think you've consumed 21000 calories above your maintenance level in the time frame
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Always had struggle with measuring myself. I can't seem to measure in the same spot every time. Even when I do it five minutes apart I get different results. I weigh but I also take progress pictures every four weeks because even though I lost 21 pounds so far I don't feel different in my body and don't see changes by looking in the mirror every day. The pictures help a lot with that.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I do both (and I imagine most people on here- at least those who have been here awhile ;) ) do. I weigh and log once a week and take measurements once a month. And comparison photos every 2-3 months.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The scale never lies.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The scale never lies.

depends how you interpret it

some still look for a fixed weight, completely ignoring the fact that we, as humans, have a weight range of say around 5lbs
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Do both! I regret not having my starting measurements. My clothes are far far smaller, but as I approach my target weight, it comes off REALLY SLOWLY or goes up and down, which is frustrating as heck. I wish that I'd measured. Just knowing that a particular pair of pants is "loose" is not very accurate. Don't make my mistake!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Both.
    I weigh once a week and take body measurements once a month.