'Net' calories and BMR

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    She's asking is there any reason not to lose more than 2 lb/week.

It's generally a relative number--someone extremely obese could probably maintain a 1500 lb deficit, but usually trying for 1000 or less is what's recommended absent a medically-monitored plan.

I don't know where that comes from, but it's commonplace medical advice and why MFP caps at 2 lb goals.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    She's asking is there any reason not to lose more than 2 lb/week.

It's generally a relative number--someone extremely obese could probably maintain a 1500 lb deficit, but usually trying for 1000 or less is what's recommended absent a medically-monitored plan.

I don't know where that comes from, but it's commonplace medical advice and why MFP caps at 2 lb goals.

Even then, I still think it would depend on their situation and what their overall calorie intake would end up being.

• lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes--if it was on a TV show, I'm assuming it was medically monitored in some way, also.

Not that being on a TV show necessarily means weight loss is being done responsibly, of course. ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options
    (For me a 1500 deficit would be basically fasting if I were sedentary, yay. Or I suppose I could eat 500 and run 5 miles a day, I'm sure that would work. No doubt one of the posters who think the conventional advice on MFP is to conservative will soon explain that I could do that, if I were just tough enough and fasted on a sufficiently nutrient dense diet, instead of a diet of all Twinkies. Well, Twinkie crumbs, but you know.)

Edit: for the record, NOT directed at you at all, OP, but some absurd recent discussions.
  • MimGSR
    MimGSR Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Like I said it's purely hypothetical, I love my food so I'm happy at 80% of TDEE.

They were medically monitored but they all had quite a few binges, so the psychological aspect definitely came into play.