I don't get it. ..

Options
So I always am under my calorie goal of 1400. The scale this morning read that i gained 2 pounds in one day. How is that possible? I don't get it! !

Replies

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Had you gone to the bathroom beforehand ? Had you already eaten ? Did you have a big meal in the evening ? Was there lots of salt in it ?
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations in water weight and digestion play a large part as do hormone levels. I weigh myself weekly, if the scale is up more than two weeks in a row then I have cause for concern. Watch your general trend and record your new lows.
  • meghanrushman
    meghanrushman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had not eaten at this point and had already went to the bathroom. Last night iI had a large salad with 1 tbsp of lite ranch with tomatoes. I also had cottage cheese with blueberries and strawberries.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Because weight loss is not linear.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You have 900 grams extra. So what ??? Weight goes up and down all the time even when you diet.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Is it close to the TOM? I usually gain around that time.
  • meghanrushman
    meghanrushman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No I just had my mirena put back in two days ago
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This:
    cblue315 wrote: »
    Fluctuations in water weight and digestion play a large part as do hormone levels. I weigh myself weekly, if the scale is up more than two weeks in a row then I have cause for concern. Watch your general trend and record your new lows.

And this:
    randomtai wrote: »
    Because weight loss is not linear.
  • PeanutbutterBang
    PeanutbutterBang Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think a good idea is to weigh yourself every morning at around the same time, record the weight in a journal or wherever works for you, and then at the end of the week add it all up, divide by the number of days and get your average weight for that week. It's much more accurate than going by daily weight. Hope this helps :smile:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

And that could well explain a temporary fluctuation. Srsly, if you've been sticking to your deficit don't sweat it. Our bodies like to wibble wobble all over the place, we're just more conscious of it when we're trying to lose weight.
  • RedRockChic
    RedRockChic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Catch 22... OP the Mirena is usually re-inserted immediately after the previous one is taken out, however the lack of contact between the hormones and the lining of the uterus does cause a TOM hormonal reaction even if only for a few minutes. Plus, if you are having it replaced you are likely at the tail end of the 5 yrs and the hormone is not as strong on the device anymore. I've been on the M for 7 yrs now, I still have incidental wt gain and some cramping despite not having periods for at least 6 of those 7 yrs.

The biggest thing anyone can advise is to not sweat daily changes. Look at your progress a week or a month at a time, otherwise you will nickel and dime yours macros trying to make the scale do magic things on a daily basis.

There are a lot of reasons why there could be an increase. I had a BM that I thought was the weight of a small dog, and for giggles weighed myself afterwards. I was UP a pound. I just dumped a small dog's weight down the toilet, hadn't eaten anything yet AND was heavier????

Don't get discouraged, our weight can flux 2-5 pounds from day to day.... for no appreciable reason. Just keep doing what your doing and check the progress as a weekly average.

Be well!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm up 4lbs on this time last week

period due, sodium in diet and DOMs from exercise

I have categorically not eaten 14000 calories over my weekly maintenance

Just got to wait it out
  • Merci4u
    Merci4u Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

there is your answer.

I would wait a week and see what happens. As everyone else is indicating, fluctuations are normal, its the overall trend you are looking for