Hair loss has been happening for a year now.. what could this be?

My hair started falling out when I started dieting and exercising a year ago. Overall I lost 40 lbs. I was steadily losing about a .5 lb to 1 lb a week for about 2 months until summer hit last year and I decided to stop exercising (because I can't handle the hot weather at all..)

At first, my hair loss was not too bad. Started noticing more and more fall out in the shower every day, so I skipped washing my hair for a day or 2. It would still fall out on non-wash days. I tried different shampoos, conditioners, etc. Nothing helped. My hair just kept falling out.

My hair used to be so thick! Now it's thin and weak. I stopped dieting about 2 months ago and my hair is still constantly falling out, a LOT. You don't even want to see my bedroom carpet (oh my gosh... lol) But anyways, I don't think my hair is still falling out from losing weight, cause I've actually gained 6 lbs in those 2 months... so what the heck could it be from? Stress? I'm not THAT stressed!!! Well, definitely not as much as I was anyways.

Actually, my husbands hair has been going through the same thing (poor guy isn't handling it too well.. lol) His hair, just like mine, was very very thick. Now I can see his scalp...

And by the way, we are only 21. For some reason if this was happening when I'm like, 30, I wouldn't mind so much. But for some reason being so young, I feel like somethings wrong and my hair should not be falling out like this, especially since I am no longer dieting..

Does anyone have any ideas what this extreme hair loss could be from? :/

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    You could be missing something in your diet. My suggestion would be to head to a doctor and get checked out.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Get an appointment with a dr. I am surprised you have left it so long. Good luck.
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    You need to see a doctor. I bet your deficient in something. I know hypothyroidism can do it.
  • liviilooseweight
    liviilooseweight Posts: 15 Member
    you may need to get your thyroid checked darling!
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Go see your doctor,

Are you stressed a lot ?
  • Merci4u
    Merci4u Posts: 41 Member
    My friend got banding done. Her hair fell out alot even though she was on vitamins etc. Double check with your doc to confirm though. Might be something else. Or it could be nothing. Some times I feel like I am moulting alot but actually no real change
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    doctor
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    edited May 2015
    Problems with your thyroid and/or iron deficiency could be possible reasons. To fix any of them you will have to see a GP.
    And no, hair loss should not be happening - even at the ripe old age of 30 LOL.
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Thanks for all of your replies. I am definitely going to make an appt for the doctor right away. Also, I've been taking skin, hair and nail vitamin gummies for about 2 weeks now. No noticeable change at all. Every time I TOUCH my hair, it falls out. So... yeah, doctor sounds like the best option. And no, I dont know why the heck I let it go for so long! I guess I figured it would just stop. Hmph.
  • MarissaPalm
    Is hypothyroidism genetic?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Why haven't you seen a doctor yet?
  • Lablady22
    Lablady22 Posts: 28 Member
    When I stopped taking birth control pills, my hair fell out quite consistently for about a year.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    1. See a doctor, and
    2. LMAO @ thirty being so old that it's OK to lose all your hair at that age. I'm 50 and my husband is 61 and we both have full heads of hair. We must be freaks.
  • MarissaPalm
    Lablady22 wrote: »
    When I stopped taking birth control pills, my hair fell out quite consistently for about a year.

I have been on and off them in the past year, so that could be a reason..

• booksandchocolate12
    Lablady22 wrote: »

I have been on and off them in the past year, so that could be a reason..

But not for your husband. It's weird that it's happening to both of you. Definitely see a doctor.

• MarissaPalm
    1. See a doctor, and
    2. LMAO @ thirty being so old that it's OK to lose all your hair at that age. I'm 50 and my husband is 61 and we both have full heads of hair. We must be freaks.

I really did not mean it like that! I'm sorry. I meant in the way that even if I was ONLY 9 years older, I wouldn't mind so much. But reading replies, hair loss isn't something that should ever actually happen until we are much much older, if at all. My apologies.

• MarissaPalm
    edited May 2015

But not for your husband. It's weird that it's happening to both of you. Definitely see a doctor.

Exactly, so I do believe maybe it could be from stress or lacking something in our diet. Will be making an appointment soon so hopefully my doctor can figure it out.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    davis_em wrote: »
    You could be missing something in your diet. My suggestion would be to head to a doctor and get checked out.

I agree with this. See a doctor. Hair loss is a "canary in the coal mine" as far as nutrition goes and if it is severely shedding, that is usually indicative of something missing. I had the same issue a number of years ago and, in my case, it was caused by not eating enough protein and fat. I am now eating 35% protein, 35% carbs, and 30% fat and my hair is looking better than it has in a long time. YMMV

• booksandchocolate12
    1. See a doctor, and

I really did not mean it like that! I'm sorry. I meant in the way that even if I was ONLY 9 years older, I wouldn't mind so much. But reading replies, hair loss isn't something that should ever actually happen until we are much much older, if at all. My apologies.

It's OK. I wasn't offended. I thought it was funny. When I was 21, I thought 30 was old and 50 was ancient. Now because I'm 50, it doesn't seem quite so old. ;)