Wrist issues. Any advice?

Options
Gallen88
Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
Hey all. I wanted to know if any of you are having wrist issues with push-ups. I really want to do a push-up challenge but my wrist always starts hurting. Outside of that burpees and anything that requires pressure on my wrist in general hurts

Any suggestions or tips for this?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Try push up stands or using dumbells ( stable ones, not the round type) to do it on, it helps for me.....
  • HealthSculptures
    HealthSculptures Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you have wrist pain, it is better to avoid core work outs like planks, push ups that would put pressure on the wrists. Try a wrist brace with support( like this... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mueller-Sport-Care-Reversible-Sprint-Wrist-Brace-maximum-support/10533506) for few days and see if that lessens the pain. Once you get better, you might still want to give it few more days before you start push ups again. Wrist discomfort can signal carpel tunnel syndrome.. so don't push it. I hope this information helps.
  • cuppykat
    cuppykat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was worried about wrist pain as well so I purchased push up stands like astrampe said above. The way we normally think of doing push ups on our hands is an unnatural position and with our body weight on top of that yet it can really hurt.

An alternative would be using your knuckles on something like a pillow instead but I thought that sounded too annoying. :)
  • FH36251
    FH36251 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sympathy; I have really bad wrists from aerials. I've spoken with a few people about mine, and agree that on knuckles is kinder on the wrists. Also, grab a yoga mat or similar, squish it under the heel of your hands, so they are about 1 inch raised, and press up from there. It aligns your wrist in a much less awful position.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, put you wrist in a "neutral" position by doing push ups on a pair of dumbells or push up bars.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Gallen88
    Options
    cuppykat wrote: »
    I was worried about wrist pain as well so I purchased push up stands like astrampe said above. The way we normally think of doing push ups on our hands is an unnatural position and with our body weight on top of that yet it can really hurt.

An alternative would be using your knuckles on something like a pillow instead but I thought that sounded too annoying. :)

That actually does sound annoying lol
  • Gallen88
    Options
    If you have wrist pain, it is better to avoid core work outs like planks, push ups that would put pressure on the wrists. Try a wrist brace with support( like this... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mueller-Sport-Care-Reversible-Sprint-Wrist-Brace-maximum-support/10533506) for few days and see if that lessens the pain. Once you get better, you might still want to give it few more days before you start push ups again. Wrist discomfort can signal carpel tunnel syndrome.. so don't push it. I hope this information helps.
    Thank you for this!
  • vw3237
    vw3237 Posts: 1 Member
    Options