saturated fats

Options
Hi all! Why am i not hitting my saturated fats goal?? Not once since i started..any ideas?

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You must be eating too many saturated fats. Do you read labels? Do you know how much saturated fat is in whatever you are eating?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry that much. It's ok if you go over and it's ok you stay under. But if you want to increase sat fat, just increase red meats or add coconut oils.
  • roycenichols
    roycenichols Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Add any type of butter. Peanut butter, almond butter, etc
  • bikerbabewannab2015
    bikerbabewannab2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im not eating enough Sat fats Whmscll...i eat peanut butter and pumpkin butter. I also use olive oil in everything. I dont like coconuts tho..today i came the closest to making 15g of saturated fats cuz i ate goat cheese....ugghhh!! And i dont eat enuff calories..im short 200-300
  • bikerbabewannab2015
    Options
    Thnx for your help!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Im not eating enough Sat fats

It's supposed to be a max, not a minimum, although whether it needs to be either is disputed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    You must be eating too many saturated fats. Do you read labels? Do you know how much saturated fat is in whatever you are eating?

how does "not hitting" = "too much"???
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Im not eating enough Sat fats Whmscll...i eat peanut butter and pumpkin butter. I also use olive oil in everything. I dont like coconuts tho..today i came the closest to making 15g of saturated fats cuz i ate goat cheese....ugghhh!! And i dont eat enuff calories..im short 200-300

Do you eat red meats?

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    The recommendations are to limit saturated fats. Please see the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010 which is available as a PDF file at this site...
    http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2010.asp
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    the number for saturated fats is supposed to be a ceiling. for decades it has been blamed for causing heart disease and heart attacks, etc...more recent research is dispelling much of that and it would appear that saturated fats aren't necessarily the dietary demon they've been made out to be. I don't really worry about mine too much, but I'm also usually below that ceiling number. And while I don't quite believe it to be the devil it has been made out to be, I can't quite wrap my head around how a fat that remains solid at room temperature could be healthy in large quantities.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you are under, that's a good thing. You want to limit saturated fats. Any way, you could easily get some saturated fats and an extra 200 calories by having a few pieces of dark chocolate.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »

how does "not hitting" = "too much"???

I though she meant "not hitting" as in going over. For example, if your calorie goal is 1200 and you eat 1350, you are "not hitting" your goal.
  • bikerbabewannab2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Do you eat red meats?

• bikerbabewannab2015
    Options
    Ok...i feel better after reading everyones response...especially the one about dark chocolate.lol... I will eat more red meat and bacon (turkey bacon) plus ive lowered my caloric intake to 1200...this is kinda fun!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Ok...i feel better after reading everyones response...especially the one about dark chocolate.lol... I will eat more red meat and bacon (turkey bacon) plus ive lowered my caloric intake to 1200...this is kinda fun!

Why would you lower your calories to 1200? You have little to no weight to lose.

If you want us to review your calories, post your height weight, workout routine and let us know if you have any medical issues and we can set up a plan.

Also, there is no need to eat more saturated fat, but there is reason it's bad either. If anything, I would concentrate on getting more foods higher in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats as they have been linked to improving health.
  • bikerbabewannab2015
    Options
    Hi, MFP calculated my calories at 1350 or somewhere around there so i could lose a pound a week. I couldnt meet that goal cuz i dont eat that much. I average around 1250 a day normally. Now im just eating healthier. Id like to lose bout 7 lbs. ..mfp is telling me im not eating enuff Sat fats and that im eating too many mono and poly fats...? Im just going by what this is telling me

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    you can't go wrong with bacon and eggs
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Hi, MFP calculated my calories at 1350 or somewhere around there so i could lose a pound a week. I couldnt meet that goal cuz i dont eat that much. I average around 1250 a day normally. Now im just eating healthier. Id like to lose bout 7 lbs. ..mfp is telling me im not eating enuff Sat fats and that im eating too many mono and poly fats...? Im just going by what this is telling me

You can eat that much, or you wouldn't be overweight. "healthy" doesn't mean low calorie or low fat.... You need fats for good health. Add some butter/ghee, coconut oil (which isn't really coconutty), grass fed red meat, eggs.

For higher cals, without added volume, don't go for the low fat options. Turkey bacon? Hardly a great source of fat.... Add avo, oily fish, olive oils, nuts & seeds, whole eggs, full fat dairy, Chia, fatty meats (dark meat from turkey/chicken, fattier cuts of beef/lamb), butter... Still all "healthy"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hi, MFP calculated my calories at 1350 or somewhere around there so i could lose a pound a week. I couldnt meet that goal cuz i dont eat that much. I average around 1250 a day normally. Now im just eating healthier. Id like to lose bout 7 lbs. ..mfp is telling me im not eating enuff Sat fats and that im eating too many mono and poly fats...? Im just going by what this is telling me.

As people explained above, MFP is not saying you aren't eating enough saturated fat. The saturated fat number is supposed to be a maximum, but is arguably based on outdated information--some people ignore it, some try to stay below it. (I'd ignore it and figure out for yourself what you think a healthy diet requires, which may or may not involve limiting sat fat.)

The mono and poly fats are generally good to eat. MFP has them at 0 because there's no limit set for them. It DOESN'T mean you are over your limit.