Thyroid and Soy

Options
humanbean
humanbean Posts: 23 Member
I have low thyroid and I believe I'm just being treated for T4 w synthroid. I've re-started my quest to lose weight after a major fail through the holidays and gaining back the 20lbs I had lost in the fall. During the time I avoided gluten, sugar, and soy.

I'm doing the exact same things I was, but I've tried replacing some meat with soy, and I've had no change. In fact, I've gained 5lbs. I read somewhere that soy can restrict weightloss for many ppl w low thyroid. Is this true and if so, how? Am I destined to be a meat eater even though in an ideal world I'm a 50lbs lighter vegetarian?

Thanks

Replies

• MacCroc
    MacCroc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My thyroid medication is not compatible with soy. Could be true for yours too.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I've not heard that soy can restrict weight loss with those of us with hypothyroidism, but I have heard it can interfere with meds. I've also read articles like this one that imply that it does not. To be on the safe side I do limit soy, your mileage may vary though.
  • makennis
    makennis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have low thyroid too and my doctor asked me to avoid any soy products. Before That I daily consumed tofu (I don't eat any red meats) and I couldn't lose any weights but once I cut out all soy products Im losing weights slowly...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you don't eat the soy too close to taking your meds, you should be fine.

I'm a vegetarian with Hashimoto's who eats it.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have low thyroid, am on Synthroid, and drink my weight in soy milk. No problems here, but I'm sure it varies by individual.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I am hypo and am on levothyroxine.

I have no studies or science to back it up, but I know that for me personally, soy makes me feel terrible (sluggish, tired) and stalls my weight loss - it basically gives me back all of the symptoms I had before I was on meds...which leads me to believe that it inhibits my body's absorption of my meds, so I avoid it completely.

Side note...I also do my best to purchase organic, hormone-free, free-range beef and chicken (I can't always, due to budget and availability, but do probably 75% of the time).
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I take T3 (liothyronine) and have Hashi's. Soy messes up all of my hormones (sex hormones and thyroid hormones) so badly that I find it best to avoid.

I still miss soy milk and tofu after all these years without it, but the few times I've had some, I regret it for weeks afterward.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    OP. I assume that your TSH is now ~ 1. That's where the new guidelines suggest with treatment. If the TSH is OK, then have a free T3 tested to see if you need add'l T3 (like cytomel).

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost the weight just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. And I've maintained for ten months.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1