anyone ever used a fitbit?

Options
Looking to purchase a HRM.
Checked into a bodybugg.
I don't really want to commit to a monthy subscription.

Someone mentioned a fitbit.
Anyone know how it works and if it is any good?

Does the fitbit have to have the monthly subscription?

I want something that will tell me how many calories I have
burnt during my workouts, exercises, zumba and kickboxing.

Please help....
Any advice appreciated.....

Replies

• hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I haven't used a fitbit, but I LOVE my HRM. I had a sportline HRM before and it was just inaccurate- wouldn't work half the time, so I sent it back to get a refund. A friend of mine had this same HRM and I got it and haven't had ANY problems so far! http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Pearl-Fitness-Monitor/dp/B003A0QEMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1305948541&sr=8-1
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    PEople at work have Fit Bits. I thought it was like a pedometer, not so much a HRM. I could be wrong though?
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit and loved it, but it just died one day. I was scared to get another so got a Polar 4 instead. The fitbit measures your activity level based on how much you move. It isn't a HRM and only estimates your calories based on how much you moved. It does count your steps. It has some cool features. I would check out fitbit.com and maybe even google for fitbit reviews.

I really wanted a Bodybugg or Bodymedia, but balk at paying a monthly fee, especially after such a big outlay to get the device.
  • bampitt
    bampitt Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I wear it everyday. It tracks your steps, how many miles you've walked and calories burned. It will even track your sleep, if you wear it to bed. It will automatically sync to your computer every time you come close to your charging station. There is no monthly fee.

The fitbit website has a food and exercise tracker just like every other site but I personally prefer My Fitness Pal. MFP is a lot more user friendly.

Its a cool device to use. It makes me hit my 10,000 steps/day.
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I don't use a fitbit but I did just buy a heart rate monitor. I bought a Polar FT7 and absolutely love it! It seems to accurate (more accurate than MFP) and I have used it for running / zumba / cycling / dancing and have not had a problem. If you go with a HRM I would suggest one with a chest strap for accuracy!
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I wear it everyday. It tracks your steps, how many miles you've walked and calories burned. It will even track your sleep, if you wear it to bed. It will automatically sync to your computer every time you come close to your charging station. There is no monthly fee.

The fitbit website has a food and exercise tracker just like every other site but I personally prefer My Fitness Pal. MFP is a lot more user friendly.

Its a cool device to use. It makes me hit my 10,000 steps/day.
    +1 to all this. I love my FitBit for all the reasons mentioned. I do enter into the food diary there, but only put my final data in from MFP when I close it out at the end of the day.

Old habits die hard though and I do still use my HRM when I work out. It's really not necessary but I've used one for so long that I just can't give it up. :smile:

FitBit has great customer service and a very slick website with no monthly fee.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I never used a fitbit, but I used a bodybugg... I can see the fitbitt being pretty accurate. But I believe the bodybugg is more accurate.
  • daniesq
    daniesq Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just got a FitBit a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure how accurate it is, although it seems to be accurate enough for my use, which is to get a general sense of my activity level. In that aspect, it excels.

I find their website reporting of FitBit measurements to be very good, however, their food & measurements tracking does leave something to be desired. You're better off sticking with MyFitnessPal for these things and using the FitBit data as supplemental information.