Binge eating

Options
Hi! I have been on a life style change using mfp to keep me accountable, but i have a major obstacle i cant seem to over come. I always binge eat at night right before bed and it ruins my entire day, and i feel so terrible after and the next day. I am hoping to find some encouraging friends who may help keep me accountable and keep me going! Im very friendly and out going and love meeting new people on this new journey!

Replies

• auamare
    auamare Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to have a similar problem. Now i follow the apple or nothing rule. If I'm hungry enough to eat an apple (or some other fruit/ veggie) I eat it. If I'm not hungry enough to have an apple, I drink water. You can do it! :smiley:
  • jessicaliong1
    jessicaliong1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem too. I always have this tendency to binge eat for the whole day, then feel guilty about it, and then the next day I will be determined to eat healthily and I did but the next day or following day, I will binge eat again and the cycle continues. I dont know how to stop it either:(
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I noticed yesterday someone who posted: 100 day no binge challenge!
    Lots of people have 'signed' up for this challenge.
    Good luck
    (Just search the above)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Eat a giant veggie salad with 2 tbsp of light dressing at that time of night instead of the things you usually binge on.
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also noticed lots of entries (same forum as this) under the post: Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.)
  • Alligator423
    Alligator423 Posts: 87 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    auamare wrote: »
    I used to have a similar problem. Now i follow the apple or nothing rule. If I'm hungry enough to eat an apple (or some other fruit/ veggie) I eat it. If I'm not hungry enough to have an apple, I drink water. You can do it! :smiley:

I like this rule! When I was little and I would complain that I was hungry my mom would say "eat an apple" and when I would say I didn't want an apple her answer was always "well you must not be that hungry then."

Are you being especially restrictive during the day time? I find that my desire to binge comes from constantly "being good" all day and it just swells up. Maybe try working in more treats/indulgences for your regular meals.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying. I tend to do the same thing. I seem to be more accountable and not eat as much when people are around, but now that my husband works overnights I tend to binge about once a week. Its terrible! One thing I have noticed is that, giving yourself more calories throughout the day will keep you from wanting to binge at night. My binges usually start because I have been trying to restrict most of the day. Good luck!
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider seeing a counselor/therapist. Most people with binge eating have underlying mental health concerns that are driving the binging. For me, it was feeling depressed and anxious, and the binging made those feelings worse. With a lot of time, introspection, and help, I've been able to overcome binge eating over the last few years. You have to get to the bottom of why you're binging and address that before you can successfully break the pattern.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    First thing you should figure out is if you are eating enough during the day. Sometimes we binge because we are legitimately hungry. I had an eating disorder that involved binging, so for me, the struggle is mental/emotional most of the time. I am exhausted and need to de-stress at the end of the day and find myself having trouble with control. What's helped is to stop the binge beforehand by waiting 20 minutes. I spend that 20 minutes doing something to distract myself or I do deep breathing to calm myself. I tell myself just to wait 20 minutes. If I still want to eat, I pick something I don't have a hard time controlling. If I still want to binge, I wait another 20 minutes. The idea is to really interrogate if you want to eat or if something is hurting/stressing you out. There are other ways to self-soothe than with food. There is a book, actually, called 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food. I open that book when I want to binge too, and it really helps.
  • shancourcy16
    shancourcy16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the advice! So great to know im not the only one!!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been doing so well but I had a binge today. I will try to just move on and keep to my normal routine. I did it because I am feeling sad and depressed and I don't really know why.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Try a tbsp or so of nut butter or a fruit like an apple/plum. Always works for me.
  • dianna1286
    dianna1286 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been going through something similar. I feel like i have no control!
  • biochemgirl
    biochemgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with BED for most of my adult life and only realized what it was a few years ago. In the same way that an alcoholic is always an alcoholic, I don't think it will ever go away :( Having a therapist or counselor helps but has not been a magic bullet. I often find solace in reading/rereading books by Geneen Roth or even just recalling her stories, advice and compassion. Overall, emotional stability is the thing that allows me to quiet my demons and reject the urge to binge that is with me everyday and worsens at night.
  • celseykonner
    celseykonner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem, but for the most part I would only eat once a day and just eat until I felt sick. Then I wouldn't eat for 2 days and do it all over again. I've lost nearly 30 lbs and am 10 lbs away from my goal weight and I know you can reach your goals too!! Good luck!! And anyone can add me :smile:
  • rileyfanof24
    rileyfanof24 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is something that has just hit me in the last 6 months or so, I would say in my case and hopefully many of the rest of you is just poor habit, something you and I can both change with some will power. The winter months just got to me this winter( empty house syndrom in my case) out of boredom with no kids to take care of anymore I have replaced it with food. I need to find another way to soothe my empty nest and could use encouraging myself. Try painting or reading, word search or cross word a puzzle, etc. something to change the focus of food. (If you don't want an apple, you're not hungry...find something else to do) I'm walking more now that it's getting nicer out but still have a void to fill. I'll be here to cheer you all on in return for the same.
  • zofi571
    zofi571 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please, look into your vitamins. I suggest reading Doctor Yourself by Andrew W. Saul, ph.d.
    Many times it's really not about an addiction but subtle imbalances in your body. I know this because I struggle with drinking and taking B vitamins really helped me, it also worked for my friend. It's like a miracle. Anyway good luck, you are great for doing this! -Z