Exercise when your obese?

Options

Replies

• puddintot
    puddintot Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm where you are and just starting back up. I use my stairs in my house, just walking yup and down while swinging my arms. I also use laundry as an excuse to move more carrying one towel at a time to the linen closet and making that indoor chore last longer while keeping me moving. I'm not burning many calories, but I'm moving continuously.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @kfebersole when I started out I wandered in to a bunch of different classes to figure out what I liked. I followed wherever my nose took me. I'm definitely NOT a team sports girl so finding introverted activities like yoga and running has been liberating. Maybe check out community teams in your area, like softball.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    pinktoesjb wrote: »
    try couch to 5k. You can do this outside on your own, you wont stay cool but you will see rapid improvement if you stick with it and that is SO motivating.

I use the C25k podcasts indoors. I march in place during the walks and the jog in place during the run times.

To the OP...

Watch different videos and then modify them to fit your ability. Over time you can add to them.

There are lots of videos on youtube that are geared toward the obese. Also take a look at videos that target the elderly...they are good for getting the joints of a sedentary person moving.

• mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Make a play list that makes you want to move. Shut the curtains and DANCE, you know the type of dancing you do when no one is watching. Will make you feel good and work up a sweat in the comfort of privacy.
    Reason I say shut the curtains/blinds is because my window cleaner once caught me shaking my rump in underwear and vest top while doing the dishes.xx
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Swimming? I know you have self confidence issues but seriously, swimming is a wonderful workout. Easy on the joints, burns good calories. Even if you don't swim laps, just get in the pool and move around. And you stay nice and cool :)

I want to swim at my gym's pool but I am a little nervous about how I look in a bikini and others staring. Also I'd hate for the chlorine to dry out my hair.

OP, start anywhere. As long as you are moving, you are burning calories!! Walking, slow jog, elliptical, biking etc.

Several of the swim instructors at my gym are 300-400 lb women. They have great personalities and are good at teaching the kids. Nobody cares what they look like in a bathing suit.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    kfebersole wrote: »
    Good Lord, where to start? It feels like just a work out to get down on the floor and back up again!

I go for walks but as the weather gets hotter I'd prefer exercise in an air conditioned environment.
    What I am looking for is something baby step oriented to do in my own home until I build the confidence to join a gym or fitness program.

Fat girl yoga? I don't know. Thoughts?

Walking is such a good way to start. If you have A/C in your home, then you could consider a treadmill.

If you don't already have a fitbit or similar, I found them a great way to motivate myself to move a little extra. Steps around the house while folding laundry, cleaning, doing dishes, etc still count and you'd be shocked how much of a difference it makes when you start to take extra steps on purpose.

• ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started with free yoga and pilates videos in my living room. Early morning/early evening walks outside are generally cooler as well.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I go for walks but as the weather gets hotter I'd prefer exercise in an air conditioned environment.
    What I am looking for is something baby step oriented to do in my own home until I build the confidence to join a gym or fitness program.

Unless you have other health problems that prevent you from getting out there, walking is the easiest, cheapest, exercise you can do. Don't keep sealing yourself up indoors. Yes, you'll get sweaty. Who cares? Get some non cotton work out great and get out. Walk early or after sundown. Walk in a shady park. There are always options.

Everyone walks, fat folks like us and otherwise. You won't stand out.

Keep increasing your walking and log and follow your calorie budget and you're going to see real results in not much time. That will give you tons of confidence and get you to your goal faster and more surely.

I'm not saying don't do other things too, just that locking your self up in your home out of fear or shame is not a formula for success. By making a decision to change you are already a winner so go out and be proud of that.

I used fear as my excuse. Never again.

Mike

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Low or no impact. Swimming, stationary bike, dumbbells for upper body. You can add things with impact when you weigh less and won't bang up your joints. Once you don't get out of breath so easily, add walking, either outdoors or on a treadmill, and the elliptical trainer is good too.
  • kfebersole
    kfebersole Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    nekoface wrote: »
    J
    I second spin classes too. I chose a class in a dark room (nobody can see you) with loud music (nobody can hear you pant) and with no mirrors (though this is hard to find).

Sounds like my kind of place.
  • kfebersole
    kfebersole Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

... just that locking your self up in your home out of fear or shame is not a formula for success. By making a decision to change you are already a winner so go out and be proud of that.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I needed to hear that. I've got tons of excuses for not working out and right at the top of the list is embarrassment. I was fat shamed at a Y once. Some little blond thing in lululemon pants asked me not to break the stationary bike before she had a chance to use it. I handle it with class of course. I told her I'd break the bike over her face if she didn't move along.

But yeah, my pride, vanity, and embarrassment at how fat I've gotten has kept me from going to the gym or trying to jog. I'd love to take a yoga class but is rolling around on the floor, unable to get up, like a bug stuck on its back considered yoga? :D

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good Lord, where to start? It feels like just a work out to get down on the floor and back up again!

Fat girl yoga? I don't know. Thoughts?

DVD brands for bigger folks - Mega Yoga, Heavyweight Yoga, Big Yoga....they also have Plus Size Pilates, Plus Size Kickboxing. Instructors to look for: Megan Garcia, Debby Mack, Debra Mazda, Lynne Robinson

Go for indoor "walks"
    Leslie Sansone walking videos - no choreography (so you can go at your own pace), low impact so they are easy on the joints. Freebies on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

Also on DVD (chaptered, some have a music only option) reviews & video clips here: http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/141.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=141&show=10&page=1

See if your local library has any of these.

Do you have a Wii? There is a fun walking game called Walk it Out. Your steps (to the beat of the music) earn you points. You use the points to build an island.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I know people rag on Planet Fitness, but if you have one nearby, it's well worth the $10 a month to be able to walk to your heart's content on a treadmill in the air conditioning. It's not the gym for bodybuilders, but it is the gym for people who are just starting out. They usually have Wi-Fi so if you have a phone or table with a screen large enough, you can watch Netflix or something while you're walking.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

... just that locking your self up in your home out of fear or shame is not a formula for success. By making a decision to change you are already a winner so go out and be proud of that.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I needed to hear that. I've got tons of excuses for not working out and right at the top of the list is embarrassment. I was fat shamed at a Y once. Some little blond thing in lululemon pants asked me not to break the stationary bike before she had a chance to use it. I handle it with class of course. I told her I'd break the bike over her face if she didn't move along.

But yeah, my pride, vanity, and embarrassment at how fat I've gotten has kept me from going to the gym or trying to jog. I'd love to take a yoga class but is rolling around on the floor, unable to get up, like a bug stuck on its back considered yoga? :D

LOL

Sure it is...

I hate laying down on a weight bench at the gym...I have to roll off to the side sometimes to get up.

The only thing I like about going to a gym...you see some strange things sometimes...crazy things...strange and crazy people.

• mwyvr
    Options

Mike

I've no repeatable words to use in a public forum for people like that but I like your response. Truly. That's the attitude you need all the time!
    But yeah, my pride, vanity, and embarrassment at how fat I've gotten has kept me from going to the gym or trying to jog.

When I started gaining weight I started buying black T shirts instead of dealing with the issue. Eventually the black shirts didn't contain me or hide anything and I kept on gaining. All along the way I felt embarrassed and fearful of even trying. I stopped wanting to do things I used to love, like hiking, going on super long walks and bike rides, because I knew I'd be trailing everyone. I concocted every excuse.

What did those excuses buy me? Nothing but 9 years of less, and then lost, opportunity. 9 years of weight gain. 9 years of less fun.

Your goal is similar to mine when I started last September - I had 100 lbs to lose. Today I'm just over half-way there. The major thing that changed between old me and changing-me? I stopped buying my own BS excuses and made an unbreakable promise with myself on my birthday last September.

Yes it was hard at first. Hard work that is... not the resolve. I wheezed and gasped when trying to run (I wanted to run, again, as I'd been a runner before), which frustrated me to no end but also motivated me to keep at it because I knew that I'd improve if I kept going. You just have to believe that, no matter what the exercise or fitness routine you decide to adopt. You will improve. For sure. No doubt about it.

I couldn't even run 1km or 1 mile without stopping frequently. It didn't matter. Just doing it is what is important. It took weeks before I started breathing easier but eventually I did. It took weeks more before I could run 2 or 3km without stopping. But over those first couple of months I was laying the ground work, developing a great habit and love of exercise again, and I was already losing weight, not because of the exercise alone of course but it was a factor as it helped ensure I had a calorie deficit, as well as provide important health benefits.

Between September and December 2014 I ran (ran/walked) just over 200km and dropped a pant size. By April the belt I used to wear fully let out was on notch five and is still loose. Currently I'm down 26kg / 57lbs, more than halfway to my 100 pounds and ideal body weight (which I'll evaluate more when I get close). Today I can't imagine not being active, it's part of my life now.

I didn't super-optimize what I was doing last fall/winter, I just stopped making excuses and forced myself outside. Yes, I felt a bit self concious at first. For all of two days I think. That feeling passed very, very, quickly.

You don't need to run, but if you do want to there are plenty of good folks here who can help. All you need to do is find activities that you like and keep at it. Importantly you need to keep inching the bar higher, making the walks longer and brisker, workouts more energetic, over time. Continuously challenging yourself is what makes change stick and it becomes fun. You won't want to go back.
    I'd love to take a yoga class but is rolling around on the floor, unable to get up, like a bug stuck on its back considered yoga? :D

Sounds like a great idea!

@RunFarLiveHappy here is Yoga wise - maybe she might have some good advice for yo on how to find just the right sort of yoga practice for you. Reach out!
  • helenlovesruby
    helenlovesruby Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great because it supports your body, I like to follow it with a deep conditioning hair treatment in the sauna. I'm overweight and I do yoga.yoga is for everyone.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If going to the gym is your goal, then go. Get a trainer (some gyms will offer a few free sessions with membership), it will help you feel more comfortable. People at the gym are usually focused on themselves. Don't let anything keep you from your goals. The best thing to do is what you enjoy, something that you will stick with. Start slow and build from there. Walking and swimming are definitely the easiest things to start with and go from there.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Meant to add one other thing:

What does any person worth knowing think when they see a fat person like me exercising?

They don't think: go away!, no, they cheer you and think: WAY TO GO!!!

So get out there!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hi, OP. I have pretty bad social anxiety so have kept to only doing a bit of youtube videos at home. The one I started with is a 30 minute Zumba (dance with Shelley is the poster). I couldn't do the whole thing but tried, "just one more song" until I can manage the whole thing. I get bored easy so am also looking for some other things to try at home. I am focusing on 5 minutes at a time vs a whole workout.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Possibly. Is standing in front of the TV yelling 'what the *kitten* is that and how are you freaks doing it" considered yoga?