Are you attached to the scale?

Options
This is a great read on a fit young women and the dysfunction that can come about with weighing yourself.

https://eatingforgodsglory.wordpress.com/

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I look at the trends. There are so many factors that go into how much we weigh that it changes constantly, even in five minutes. As long as you notice that it's going down over a long-enough time frame, that's all that matters.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Weighing is not typically the problem. It is the thinking that surrounds the weighing that can be dysfunctional. With the caveat that there is an aspect of weighing regularly that can inherently make you more number focused that is challenging especially to people who have an obsessive part of their personality (this is true for any kind of checking behavior). Usually with eating disorder patients I will recommend weighing once a week as it prevents you from avoiding the number and provides opportunity to challenge cognitions regarding weight but doesn't feed obsessiveness. This of course will usually be done WITH the therapist at least at first. With people who don't have eating disorders and are not obsessive types, I think daily weighing is a good idea if you are watching your weight.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between weighing yourself often and letting your whole day revolve around what the scales say - worrying about your weight before hand, letting the number dictate what you feel you're allowed to wear and whether you're going to have a good day or not, etc. Just because some people can be come negatively obsessed with something doesn't mean that something is bad and has the same effect on everyone.
  • lbrown0874
    lbrown0874 Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I used to be obsessed by the scale, to the point that my entire day could be ruined by a tenth of a lb gain. I finally had to have my husband lock the scale up and he only lets me have it one time a month so I can weigh. I have learned to judge my weight loss on how my clothes fit and how I feel but it was a long time in the making and difficult to overcome.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    While im not obsessed with weighing myself, i am obsessed with body fat levels and am checking(pinching/looking) my body fat level around my midsection throughout the day all day.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    While im not obsessed with weighing myself, i am obsessed with body fat levels and am checking(pinching/looking) my body fat level around my midsection throughout the day all day.

This is a good example, thanks for sharing. This is checking behavior and it will definitely tend to make you obsessed the more you do it!

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    When I first started on MFP with my lifestyle change, I weighed every single day for 2 months and there was always a loss. After a while my weight began to stall and it started to frustrate me. I didn't want to be in a bad mood all day at work because I didn't lose, or because I had "gained" half a pound. I decided to just weigh in once a week and am no longer obsessed.