Weighing in.

Options
bey02
bey02 Posts: 22 Member
So I'm on week 1 and I just wanted to know how often people would recommend weighing in. I was going to do it weekly but I'm so tempted to see how I'm doing and if what I'm doing is working!

Replies

• punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and use an app to track my weight. I only update mfp once a week tho and count my weight on a Sunday as my "official" weight.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I was weighing myself every day and was finding that I was getting waaaaaay too obsessed with the number on the scale. So now I weigh myself twice a week, on a Monday and a Thursday, but only take my Monday weight as my 'official' weight.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday using a Fitbit scale that connects to MyFitnessPal. I don't care what the scale says - I just look at the trend over time.

Do what feels comfortable for you but do it consistently.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, because it is the trend that matters, not the day to day fluctuation.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    bey02 wrote: »
    So I'm on week 1 and I just wanted to know how often people would recommend weighing in. I was going to do it weekly but I'm so tempted to see how I'm doing and if what I'm doing is working!

It's a dangerous game to play!
    Having worked hard all week, I quickly hopped on the scales "just out of interest" this morning, my weekly weigh day is Sunday.
    And, I was 2lbs up.
    I know that it does fluctuate from day to day, I know I shouldn't take it to heart but it was still a little disappointing so I wish I hadn't!
    A lot of the guys on here seem to recommend daily weighing and averaging it over the week, I've never done that so no idea how well it works. I'm going to stick to my weekly weigh-in and just ensure that the trend is on the right path.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    once a week if I am lucky...sometimes I forget and it ends up being 9-10 days..but that is because I don't really care what it says and I have to do it after a rest day and those aren't as common as they should be.

• bey02
    Options
    Thanks guys think I'll go with once a week and stop being so impatient lol
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly on Thursdays.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Rarely.
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm getting on the scale every morning and inputting the results into trendweight.com (through fitbit) which makes a nice average graph for me. I actually expect the weight to go up on some days and don't feel down when that happens. I change my weight on MFP and update my battle journal on NF once a week, usually Wednesday but if Wed is one of those days when it's obviously one-off, I use Tuesday result instead. Working well for me so far.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    bey02 wrote: »

Make sure that you measure yourself!!! I am heading to 6 months on MFP and have lost most of the weight that I wanted to, so that was gratifying. I am now in a huge funk because my last few pounds are really stubborn, despite the same diet and continued workouts. My weight is even creeping up from time to time. I am pretty sure that I am slimmer and fitter, but I am a slave to the stupid scale. People on maintenance write that they see regular fluctuations of as much as 5 lbs that they consider to be normal.

So, those people who have measured and taken progress photos likely become less frustrated when the scale is annoying. I'm struggling because I only have the scale's assessment.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing daily this year but now I am going to start weighing in the on first of the month and that's it. No big reason for it, other than wanting to try something different.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I weigh each morning; it's the first thing I do when I wake up after removing my PJs. I've become really familiar with the natural fluctuations that occur over the month. I think what's more important than how regularly you weigh is that you do it consistently. (Same scale, wear or don't wear the same clothes, same time of day, etc.)
  • Amytreetop
    Amytreetop Posts: 12 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    GingerSka wrote: »
    I weigh weekly on Thursdays.

Me too! I sometimes can't help checking through the week, but the official weigh-in is Thursday morning.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning as soon as I get out of the shower. My scale is a WiFi scale that automatically uploads my weight. This gives me great data granularity. I enjoy the data. You have to look for trends.

f7K6a5h.png
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    FitnessTim wrote: »
    I weigh myself everyday using a Fitbit scale that connects to MyFitnessPal. I don't care what the scale says - I just look at the trend over time.

Do what feels comfortable for you but do it consistently.

I do the same thing. I have the same scale. It keeps me from lying to myself. I don't freak out over fluctuations and I can usually tell if in retaining water before I even get on the scale (rings are super right, ankles puffy etc). Do whatever works for you. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Once a week.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Once a week, but the only reason i do is to track trends. I rely more on how i feel/clothes fit than the scale!
  • bey02
    Options
    Thanks everyone I think measurements and progress photos are a good idea