Save Me

Options
TheVirgoddess
TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
I was asked to be the coach for a 12 week fitness/weight loss program for an organization I'm a part of. Of course I said yes, because I want to try to help people.

My approach to weight loss is a very no-nonsense approach. I follow IIFYM and believe in the power of CICO. I don't believe that fads, detoxes, "clean eating" or any of that are necessary (or even particularly helpful) for weight loss.

A nutritionist was also brought on board for questions/assistance. (You can probably see where this is going).

She gave a presentation at our first meeting yesterday. She talks about alkaline diets, detoxing and cleansing your body, buying organic, eating clean, how bad sugar was for you and that eating caged chicken means you're eating their sadness.

This goes against literally EVERYTHING I believe in. But I have to play nice for the sake of the group. I gave my little talk, encouraging people to find their own paths (and to weigh their food).

But I'm only on day two of 84 and I just looked at the group and there is a "sugar is like cocaine" post from natural news and I kind of want to stab myself already. And I really hate to see people buying into this rubbish instead of being sensible about it.

Help me

1174933_1422293091.6266_updates.jpg

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Whoah. My first thought was "teach by example." I would show before/after pix of your success, even go so much as what macros you used in the beginning along with the calories set, the workout, any lifting programs you were on, any cardio, etc. Use slides/catchy powepoint presentions, anything to hold the participants' interest. I wouldn't disagree nor agree with any of the others because you really don't want to get into a pissin' match on this. If someone asks point blank, then yes would definitely stand up for your IIFYM. I would also suggestion the participants get their health checked out before starting anything.

(eta: yea, did the Eye Roll on the whole Eating Their Sadness. LMAO)
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Ohh, that's a good idea - showing my progress and even my diary. Be the example.

Thanks so much! I needed some sort of idea how to handle it going forward and you know, just a vent :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Is this nutritionist an occasional team member? Surely you're not saying your coaching partner believes in all this stuff and teaches it?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Is this nutritionist an occasional team member? Surely you're not saying your coaching partner believes in all this stuff and teaches it?

Nope, not occasional at all. And yes, she does believe all of it.

She gave a presentation, but I'd feel like a real jerk if I posted it, so I won't. But it feels like every fad wrapped up into one idea.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Oh man...One day at a time? You'll probably win everyone over with your awesome personality and success.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not sure of the setup but isnt there someone in overall charge of both of you? You just strike me as full of common sense, so am surprised you are stumped.

Only you cna see all the intricacies on the ground and know what you are prepared to do or not.

Its better if you have a unified view, so the others dont get confused, but where the women is plain wrong then you need a strategy on how to proceed. It all depends how importnat it is to you and whether you are prepared for showdwon or wnat a quieter life.

1. Your immediate boss, have a chat and ask her how she wishes to proceed. You have a position on all the issues which you can back up with proof. Your boss may want co existence or tell you to keep quiet. I dont know.
    2. Its an option you could chat with the nutritionist, but my instinct is no good will come of it because shed have to admit she was wrong and didnt understand basic diet concepts. Depending on how I felt on a whim then there would be a good chance I'd face up to her beccause thats in the nature if my work dealing with knowledge and rational arguments. It might cause too much fallout.
    3. You could find common ground, support where you can, keep your views to yourself and then when the group as individuals come to ask you for advie you cna tell them what you believe in without dissing the nutrituibust or say you have different approaches, yours is X and the person will have to make their own mind up about what suits them , just you are advising based on your own experience whats worked for you.
    4. Be patient, see how it pans out and these situations often develop so the solution becomes obvious. If there would be serious fallout, then avoid it. You have to decide whether you really neeed to take on her ideas. If you do then its how muh you are willing to conflict. dat 2 of 84 would suggest wait and see for a few weeks or until you know its intolerable.
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The term "nutritionist" has no legal meaning. You can call yourself a nutritionist. Is she a registered dietitian? If not, can you talk to the person in charge about her credentials? People like that really harm the field of nutritional science.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I'm a board member for the non-profit organization, so how I behave has a pretty big impact overall - so I'm trying to tread lightly. Especially since our President chose the nutritionist :) I'm used to being in situations where if I said or did something stupid, I was the only one that would be impacted.

I think #3 is the approach I'm going to attempt. We both agree that nutrition is important and that you have to eat less than you burn, so that will be our common ground.

Sometimes I get so caught up in my own head with situations that talking it out helps me focus and kick my common sense into gear ;)
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    And thanks for the input <3
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As you're working with people I don't think it would hurt to share your own philosophies on a diet that works for you. Just be clear that there are many diets that work for many people and you enjoy this particular one. the trick i think will be on how you phrase your message so you aren't undermining your colleague.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If it's a single program, it just seems odd to me that the participants will have to listen to conflicting views. Ideally the coaches should get on the same page. No I have no ideas on how to do that!! Just pointing how things may seem if you're the one being coached
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    We had a chat about things this am, and I'm just going to let her do her thing and answer honestly but respectfully if anyone has a direct question for me.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In retrospect...I would have followed up the nutritionist's speech with Joe Pesci's rebuttal to the other attorney's opening statement in My Cousin Vinny...google/youtube it if you don't know what I mean.

But honestly, if it seems like most of the participants are hell-bent on following the woo woo, I'd probably gracefully excuse myself from responsibility of being a party to the program. After a few months of no progress, offer to re-start the program using your rules/guidance.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    We had a chat about things this am, and I'm just going to let her do her thing and answer honestly but respectfully if anyone has a direct question for me.

So, the president feels that it is best for this person to stuff a bunch of woo down the throats of the people trying to get healthy, and let you only answer questions if they are asked directly?

That seems completely backward to me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    YIKES. Sorry dude, I'm at a loss for any actual, feasible advice. "Eating sadness?" @___@ Can the participants be advised to do research such that they will find correct and logical information?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    In retrospect...I would have followed up the nutritionist's speech with Joe Pesci's rebuttal to the other attorney's opening statement in My Cousin Vinny...google/youtube it if you don't know what I mean.

But honestly, if it seems like most of the participants are hell-bent on following the woo woo, I'd probably gracefully excuse myself from responsibility of being a party to the program. After a few months of no progress, offer to re-start the program using your rules/guidance.

I agree. If you can't find a path to mitigate her harm without impacting the organization or your position, then I think it's okay to say that you strongly disagree with the messages she is sending and would prefer not to be put in a position where you have to appear supportive of them.

Or, just let them know that sadness has zero calories, per science and stuff.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

So, the president feels that it is best for this person to stuff a bunch of woo down the throats of the people trying to get healthy, and let you only answer questions if they are asked directly?

That seems completely backward to me.

No, this was my call. I feel like if people want to try it her way, then they can. I'll be here when it doesn't work.
    ceoverturf wrote: »

And this is almost what I've decided to do. I'm not offering nutrition or eating advice, unless I'm asked for it. I've shared my story, how I've lost over 78 pounds, and my photos. If anyone wants help, I'm here. But otherwise, I'm strictly weighing/measuring participants.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Your organization has retained a quack for a fitness consultant.

You can either go along to get along or you can call the President on his mistake.
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am a participant in a 16 week weight loss program offered for free through my insurance company. Last week they suggested that skipping ONE meal will put your body into 'starvation mode'. Sigh. You'd think that such a large company with registered dieticians running the program would know a little more than that.