Lifting weights

Options
I've looked around a lot on this site and seeing pictures I've noticed most of you lift weights. How does one start or what machines repetitions, etc should I start on?
I have scoliosis as well so anything to help build my core and back muscles would be great.

Replies

• JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bodyspace.com is a great resource for routines and they have videos that are attached to the routines that will show you exactly what to do. Take it slow in the beginning until you get comfortable with everything then you can start pushing a little harder. Just like anything else, educate yourself with research and go into it slowly. :) Hope this helps!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    this group is a good resource
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
    is the program I started with

Lots here buy New Rules of LIfting for women.

I don't and have never used machines it was all free weights for me. Compound lifts ensure you are getting your core.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I've looked around a lot on this site and seeing pictures I've noticed most of you lift weights. How does one start or what machines repetitions, etc should I start on?
    I have scoliosis as well so anything to help build my core and back muscles would be great.
    Try to stick to free weights, not machines. Barbells and dumbbells are where it's at.
    Don't worry about "getting too bulky". You will never accidentally look like a bodybuilder.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has lots of workouts to chose from. You might want to try and find a local gym (sole proprietor/family owned if you can find one (prices are usually better than the chains). More important then the amount of weight you lift is your form so if you can't find a gym, pick up some light weights to get started (local throw-away papers/ads usually have some for sale).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a good beginner program like strong lifts, starting strength, new rules of lifting for woman, etc. Pick a plan, commit to it, and stick with it. Also, IMO machines are a waste of time. You want to be hitting the big compound movements and maybe mix in some accessories....

do you have access to a gym?
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, nothing beats getting a personal trainer who can watch and correct your form, and give you good movements to do. I agree with yusak02, free weights and barbells. they work your entire core where the machines dont. Any CrossFit gym would be great too, they usually have very knowledgeable trainers and it's a fun atmosphere!
  • dldense
    dldense Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check with your local hospital and see if they have a wellness center. I found out mine had one and for $45 a month I can go after work until 8 at night and two nights a week I even get to use the pool for a water workout. I like this option because they have all of the equipment that the regular gyms have but I wasn't tied into a contract. They also had a trainer onsite that taught me how to use all of the machines and answers any questions I have. I love it and work out most weeks 5 nights a week.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I would suggest a good beginner program like strong lifts, starting strength, new rules of lifting for woman, etc. Pick a plan, commit to it, and stick with it. Also, IMO machines are a waste of time. You want to be hitting the big compound movements and maybe mix in some accessories....

do you have access to a gym?

^This.^
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I do!!! I have free access to a gym with cardio weights pool and classes
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    What kind of classes? I know my gym has a, "muscle madness," class and it shows you the basics for beginning weight lifting.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    It has pilates body pump body flow a lot of good ones. I make excuses though. They are later on in the evening and I have a hard time getting to them...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    It has pilates body pump body flow a lot of good ones. I make excuses though. They are later on in the evening and I have a hard time getting to them...

I would say ditch the classes and with strong lifts, starting strength, etc. You can do those on your own and don't need to go to a class.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I started New rules of lifting for women on April 20th and I love it!! I had been pushing around light weights and using machines for years with little improvement, but in just 4 weeks of NROL4W I've noticed changes in my body shape and I'm getting stronger and have much better form! Good luck!
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    gettinthere where do I find that?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    gettinthere where do I find that?

You can buy the book on Amazon.
  • gettinthere
    Options
    I did order it from Amazon, but I'm sure the local book store has it as well. It wasn't that expensive and it's filled with nutritional info too.
  • gettinthere
    Options
    You will notice lots of amazingly strong and fit women around MFP that lift heavy and EAT, this book seems to explain the same things that you will read over and over again on the forums.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    You will notice lots of amazingly strong and fit women around MFP that lift heavy and EAT, this book seems to explain the same things that you will read over and over again on the forums.

Great book with great information. Just buy a hard copy and not an ebook.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give an atypical answer and say, train with a kettlebell at first, then graduate to weights. And that is coming from somebody who pumped iron in college then took about 20 years off. That is what I did. The benefit of kettlebell training was I got my core stronger and also got myself into good enough condition to even lift weights. The issue with starting out with weights is that lack of conditioning often results in lack of intensity. People always underestimate how intense and difficult weight training really is. The ultimate goal should be doing heavy compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and presses. But starting there is not really feasible for most people in my opinion.