Is an IPHONE step the same as a regular step?

Options
I actually rode my bike for about 6 to 7 miles earlier and my phone said I had a little over 4000 iPhone steps. When I researched it, around 4200 steps is equivalent to only 1 mile

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Unless iPhone is using GPS to measure distance and convert that back into steps, you can't use a step counter to measure exercise on a bicycle.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Download the Strava app - it's a biking app that uses GPS and also accounts for hills and what not. It's good.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why are you using steps to account for bike miles?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Most step counters work by sensing the motion of your body as you walk - swinging of the arms, etc.

Since your body (other than of course your legs) doesn't really move while biking, a step counter won't be accurate.
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't really like step counters. I find they are highly inaccurate. However since they are all pretty much bad at the same rate, they can kinda be used. Example is walking from my car to my work is 9minutes of walking. Counting out the steps it's about 5-600. My iphone will say like 1100 which is ridiculous. I always remove any iphone step calories out of my myfitpal numbers.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Of course they are different. They are iSteps. They are not compatible with regular steps.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have literally NEVER heard of anyone trying to use steps to figure out how far they went on a bike. That's a new one