Allergies and working out?

Options
Hey guys,
So I've heard it's good to give yourself a break from working out when you have a cold. I have started to develop really bad seasonal allergies last year to, what seems like, anything that floats around in the form of a fuzz ball resulting in runny nose, sore throat, sneezing, dry eyes, congestion and even crazy bad hives (when a fuzz ball touches me). I started taking zyrtec today to try and combat the whole thing which says something seeing as I hate taking medication but unfortunately it's only really helped with the sneezing, dry eyes and runny nose (I refuse to test the hives). So I am still pretty congested and tomorrow is my workout day which I really don't want to skip out on not to mention these allergies are going to be going on until early summer.

So my question is should I take a break from working out due to my allergies to try and help my body or can I keep pushing?

Thanks!

PS. Any tips for kicking allergies in the butt are welcome! =]

Replies

• Kbelle2607
    Kbelle2607 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've heard that adding local honey to your diet is supposed to help with allergies. I hope you start feeling better soon :)
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yours sound worse than mine, but I just exercise with a few tissues in my hands. on really bad days, I exercise in lower allergen places (for me, this means hiking at altitudes above 8,000 ft., canoeing, or using a tidy indoor gym). Also, check this:
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/allergies/allergy-treatments/local-honey-for-allergies2.htm

Local raw unfiltered honey helps me a bit, but your allergies may be too severe.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have really bad allergies too (stupid southern AL!!!) and zyrtec didn't do a thing for me! I am now on Allegra and within an hour from taking that pill, I'm a cleared up! Drainage and all. I also work through the allergies and sweat my butt of. It's not a virus or infection so it doesn't really need to be nursed as carefully. I have heard the honey thing to but have never tried it. Good luck!
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    i used to have really bad allergies - and then i discovered the indescribable joys of acupuncture. it COMPLETELY cured me of my allergies. i can actually dust things now without sneezing uncontrollably, i can actually be around my parent's cat now without the itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezes, etc. and this has been the first year for as long as i can remember where i didn't get seasonal allergies. really you should look into it. you need to get individual treatments for each substance that bothers you (ie grass, dust, cat hair, mold, etc) and it's so worth it. totally changed my life.

and as for working out, for me anyway i always noticed that the adrenaline my body produced when i work out cleared out my sinuses and it alleviated my allergy symptoms, back when i had them. so if it's a cold then that's when your body does need the rest, but if it's just allergies then working out might actually make you feel better :)
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I have pretty miserable year-round allergies if I don't take medication... hopefully zyrtec will help you enough so that you can function normally!! but it does take a few days of consistent use to really make you feel back to 100%.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Pop a Singular or a Claritin 30 min before you workout for maximum relief. Seriously, it'll help. Nothing is more miserable than working out with a stuffy nose. Stay away from Benadryl though, it'll make you tired faster.
  • forJupiter
    forJupiter Posts: 45
    Options
    Okay thanks you guys! I'll definitely grab some local honey (a big excuse for me to buy some because I just adore the stuff) and push through my workout to see if it will subside. The acupuncture sounds awesome I'll definitely check out some local places and until then I'll pop the zyrtec or grab some cleratin until hinge start working. Thanks so much!
  • Imsojen
    Imsojen Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I also have terrible allergies but keep on working out. Zyrtec will takee a week to be fully effective but after that I think you will be much happier. I have to use a nasal spray aswell. A side note Zyrtec tends to make you very sleepy the first few days so working out will definitly keep your energy up.
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I always workout when I have a cold unless it's in my lungs. i would think the workout might help. As for the local honey, yes definitely do that. It won't work overnight but you build a better immunity. Local honey isn't cheap but better for you in my opinion and of course helps with allergies.