I need advice on running

Options
Hophead43
Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
I am beginning to get faster and have been having issues with my breathing. I have really bad sinuses and can't get enough air though my nose. Can anyone give me effective methods for mouth breathers??

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Got deviated septum issues? really bad allergies? Call the good old doctor for something to clear that stuff up.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to breathe through my nose. Just breathe through your mouth. A lot of people do. The whole in through your nose/out through your mouth thing isn't necessary.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Breathing while running is a personal thing, I've found. There's really no "right" or "wrong" way to do it. I rarely even pay attention to the way I breathe anymore. If breathing through your mouth is easier for you because you can't get enough air through your nose, then do it in whatever way is most comfortable for you. You might try measuring your breathing to your pace, something like inhale over two steps and then exhale over 4 steps, or whatever.

The only thing I might suggest is to carry some water with you, if necessary. When I'm doing sprint intervals I find my mouth gets pretty dry, but then, I live in a dry climate.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    neti pot? Have you ever tried it?
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i can't get enough air through my nose either, therefore i am a mouth breather.

That whole in through nose thing out through mouth is a myth i thought?

Just breathe how you can.
  • Hophead43
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I have bad allergies and my sinus walls are really thick. I guess I'll just keep on keeping on!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Nobody can get enough air through their nose to run at faster paces.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Somehow I missed the memo on breathing through nose. Probably was in the circular file where it belonged.

Breathing through the mouth is where its at. Occasionally some tasty bits of protein will fly right in. Embrace it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Would you breathe through your nose if you were being chased by a bear?
  • Hophead43
    Options
    Your all making good points. I was under the impression that you were supposed to breath in through the nose and exhale through the mouth. I am now seeing that this is not the case and no longer feel like I'm doing something wrong.