Triathlon newbie!

Options
Hi everyone!

I am new to these forums, hoping to meet some new friends and fellow triathlon newbies!

I started training for my first triathlon yesterday. I'm doing the 11-week program from trinewbies.com. I'm wondering for those who have just started training for a triathlon, or remember when they first started: did you notice a real change in your body after training was over? Did you lose weight, if so how much? How did your body feel before and after?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    hi Emily!

Find your way over to this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10149158/may-2015-multisport-challenge/p1

Theres some trip-newbs (such as me) and some very experienced folks there. :o)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie. Doing my second tri on Saturday. Will send you a friend request.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Triathlon is a great way to keep your body in balance, but as for weight loss you will definitely have to keep your food intake in check. Training for short distance triathlon is going to easily make you "hungry" and if you don't pay attention to what you eat you very well can undo all the good you did burning off calories. It certainly can be done though! Just takes effort.

When and where is your tri? And what are the distances?
  • emilyhein727
    emilyhein727 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Triathlon is a great way to keep your body in balance, but as for weight loss you will definitely have to keep your food intake in check. Training for short distance triathlon is going to easily make you "hungry" and if you don't pay attention to what you eat you very well can undo all the good you did burning off calories. It certainly can be done though! Just takes effort.

When and where is your tri? And what are the distances?

My tri is in 11 weeks. I started officially training on Monday. It's a 500 meter swim - 11 mile bike - 5k run.

I'd like to lose about 15ish pounds during this training process and gain some muscle definition. The training program I'm doing is plenty of cardio, 5-6 times per week, plus weight training 3 times per week. I know the cardio + weight training are both good for weight loss.

I've got the healthy diet down. I just eat too much of the healthy things, haha. I'm just not sure how many calories to eat to balance out all the exercise without burning muscle tissue.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Don't worry about "burning muscle", that isn't going to happen (especially if you have some weight training in there). I am curious - are you following an actual tri training plan? If so I am confused that it includes weights. Generally time spent with weights is time you could otherwise be spending swimming, biking and running. However since your goal is simply overall fitness and weight loss, then it is a good thing to do anyway. Be careful about trying to lose 15lbs in that short time frame though, especially if you currently look like your profile picture. That is a large amount of weight to lose in a short space of time off a frame that (at least from the picture) does not look like it needs to lose.
  • emilyhein727
    Options
    I am following this training plan: http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf

It recommends weight training 2-3 times per week, and emphasizes using lighter weights to build lean body mass.

My profile picture was taken about a year and a half ago, at the time I probably weighed 140 (I'm 5'9") and now I'm almost 160. Although I am still in a healthy BMI range, I don't feel comfortable with my body the way it is and basically would just like to tone up and look like I'm in shape, haha! I'd be happy with 10 pounds or less, as long as I gain some nice muscle definition and feel comfortable in my clothes again.
  • glevinso
    Options
    What is your swimming ability like? This plan seems to have you starting off with a 200 yard swim workout. 4 laps of a standard pool. Even when I was a noob at this, that would be a 4 minute workout. Hardly worth going to the pool for.

What is your overall fitness currently like? Does it seem like the times/distances in that plan are too short for your abilities? Or is it spot-on?
  • emilyhein727
    Options
    Swimming is my weakest area-- I plan to train a little more than what the plan calls for because I do need so much work in that area!

I can run about a 10-11 minute mile right now, but can only run about 2 miles at once. I'm hoping this plan will train me to run 3 comfortably. I'm not sure what my biking stats are, but I've always been comfortable riding. I think the times and distances in this plan are pretty spot on, except for the swimming like I mentioned above.

I'm training to finish the tri, I'm not aiming for a certain time. Just want to finish!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hey, welcome to the money pit wonderful sport of triathlon.

if swimming is your weakest area, don't worry because it is the shortest leg of the race. there is a saying that you can't win a race in the swim, but you can lose it. basically, don't try and come out of the gate strong and hard to get out of the water as quickly as possible, because you might be messing yourself up for the rest of the race.

sorry, but you're probably not going to lose a ton of body weight in 11 weeks. but keep up the sport (or any kind of program) and you will see lots of changes over a lot of time. good luck and have fun.
  • Capt_Apollo
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am following this training plan: http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf

It recommends weight training 2-3 times per week, and emphasizes using lighter weights to build lean body mass.

My profile picture was taken about a year and a half ago, at the time I probably weighed 140 (I'm 5'9") and now I'm almost 160. Although I am still in a healthy BMI range, I don't feel comfortable with my body the way it is and basically would just like to tone up and look like I'm in shape, haha! I'd be happy with 10 pounds or less, as long as I gain some nice muscle definition and feel comfortable in my clothes again.

took a quick look at your program. there is a reason that weight training is in the back of the program, and not listed in the schedule. don't concentrate too much on lifting weights and sacrifice any s/b/r.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Swimming is also my weakest area, and I would have to say that I did not spend enough time in the water before my first sprint tri. I would suggest aiming to get in 3,000 yards per week. Some days you are going to have to double up on your training. For example, often I will run or bike before going to swim. Same with any weight training you are hoping to do. Spend some time doing some light upper body weight training and then follow it up with a bike ride or run. I totally agree with the advice glevinso has given you. Keep your expectations realistic. Eleven weeks is not a lot of time, and 15 pounds is a lot of weight. I would make your goal for this first tri to finish. Once you have your time, you can set a new goal for your next one. Is the swim in a pool or open water? Will you need a wetsuit? Be sure to practice your transitions as well.
  • glevinso
    Options
    If this is an open-water race like in a lake or river, it would be best to get a little experience doing that. Swimming in a lake and swimming in a nice clean pool are entirely different things. Many times the organizers of races like this will organize a practice swim a few weeks ahead of the race to help people who are new to open-water swimming. If they don't offer it, they usually know of such events in the area that they can direct you to.
  • emilyhein727
    Options
    @capt_apollo good advice, thank you. I will use lighter weights and concentrate on cardio!

@marathonmom72 great advice. I am going to try to swim at least 2-3 days per week. My goal is definitely to just be able to finish-- not worried about time. The swim is an open water. I'm definitely going to try to practice first.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Swimming is typically everyone's weak spot, that and in the actual event the most chaotic. Be prepared to run into people and have them run into you. Everyone underestimates the bike, especially the chaffing, so try a few trials transitions in an open water area. May sound silly, but running practice drills for transition was the best advice I received. Just to have your gear sorted out in your mind makes for a smooth transition and allows you to focus on your performance.

With the popularity of multisport do you have an instructor/trainer is your area? Even a short session to review your form is well worth the time/money. Good luck!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I found it very difficult to lose weight during training for the two TRIs I did. I was eating too little and then binging because I was dying. Once I upped my calories on a daily basis I was able to shed some pounds. But it is hard because there is such a fine line between deficit and lack of energy needed to train. I run into the same issue training for OCR (obstacle course races). The harder I train the harder it is to lose weight.

I took a swim clinic and it made a HUGE difference, swimming was probably my strongest area lol. But that may have been because I hated biking and didn't practice enough and running on pavement gave me shin splints. And now you know why I OCR ;)

Train hard and then have fun on race day. Best of luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    edited May 2015
    Options
    if there is a local triathlon club, or multi-sport shop that you can go to, you might get a lot of training tips and clinic available to you.

let me ask you, as you are doing this, does it seem like you're just training for a single event, or do you think you can make this a regular thing?
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Swimming is typically everyone's weak spot, that and in the actual event the most chaotic. Be prepared to run into people and have them run into you. Everyone underestimates the bike, especially the chaffing, so try a few trials transitions in an open water area. May sound silly, but running practice drills for transition was the best advice I received. Just to have your gear sorted out in your mind makes for a smooth transition and allows you to focus on your performance.

With the popularity of multisport do you have an instructor/trainer is your area? Even a short session to review your form is well worth the time/money. Good luck!

Cosigned.

I did a lot of transition practice ahead of time and it helped a lot. There are a lot of variables in transition that massively affect the whole race.

You might like Twotri.com, which I referred to a LOT when I first started out.
    They wrote a pretty solid beginner plan you may find useful and have a lot of good swim workouts. Plus, they're about the most encouraging people on the internet...
  • emilyhein727
    Options
    @Capt_Apollo thanks for the links! I joined each group. The reason I'm doing this is because I always get bored with my exercise routines. If I'm only running or only biking for exercise I tend to stop because I have nothing to work for. Having a tri on the calendar is something to work for. I feel like I have a lot of training to do so it's motivation to get in the gym and work on something. I can see myself really enjoying the race and wanting to do more!

@CSARdiver I will try to take it slow with the swimming portion on race day! Like I said, my goal is to finish the race. No rush.

@esjones12 I need to find that sweet spot for calorie intake as well.. right now I'm aiming for 1500-1700 and paying attention to hunger cues. I may consider taking a swimming lesson to make sure my form is good, thanks for that tip!

@SBRRepeat I will need to read more about transitioning. I will check out twotri.com! Looks like a great resource!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'll have any problems finishing - sounds like you're in great shape and you'll be amazed how well you do with the peer pressure. Multisport and climbers are IMHO the coolest, most helpful people around.