NSV Back to martial arts after losing 85 pounds :)

Options
californiagirl2012
californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
edited May 2015 in Success Stories
The last time I did martial arts I was 85 pounds heavier. I focused mainly on lifting weights and portion control to lose the weight, and just a little cardio (easy steady state or HIIT). I put lifting first, then cardio.

I know we are all different but for me ignoring exercise burn helped for the fat loss phase. Now that I'm a lean athlete I consider exercise burn just a little by how I feel and how I sleep. I still find that HRM's are a bit too high.

It took me 3 years to lose 85 pounds. I lost it by the middle of my 50th year. I'm 54 now and this was me at Muay Thai Kickboxing last night. I'm just now getting my groove back with martial arts. It feels so much better now compared to when I had all that excess weight. :)

16440072.png

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wow! You're my hero!

ETA: I just looked at more of your profile pics, and just WOW! I started lifting about 6 months ago. You're great inspiration!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Outstanding!!!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Great work! You don't look like you've been out 3 years, btw.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's weird how that same guy keeps walking by.... :smile:

Also, amazing work. Love your story, have seen you around the forums before and always amazed you're in your 50's, you could pass for 30's easily.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Thanks you all. Haha the kid behind me and the repeat of the 13 second video, gotta love IG. B)
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Great work! You don't look like you've been out 3 years, btw.

It's actually been about 6 years since I did any martial arts, I started back about a month ago. It comes back quickly, kind of like riding a bicycle. :)

• californiagirl2012
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Wow! You're my hero!

ETA: I just looked at more of your profile pics, and just WOW! I started lifting about 6 months ago. You're great inspiration!

Thank you. YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!!! <3

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Wow, you do NOT look 54. Awesome job!
  • stephy1824
    stephy1824 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You're amazing! Truly inspiring to read how you did it and to look at your pictures.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Thank you
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    <3<3<3<3<3
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Wow you go girl
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    THANKS <3
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    I had the moderator remove the video link to Instagram and now I'm trying out photobucket for the video. I've done pictures here with photobucket for years, but never videos... so let's see how this works:

th_Kickboxing%20at%20Life%20Altering%20Fitness%20May%202015_zpsvg1ip0az.mp4

Happy Thursday!
    Roberta
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!