flabby abs and love handles

Options
Anyone have fixes for abs that need some tightening and love handles?
I am game for ANYTHING besides basic crunches. I just hate them! I need something that doesn't strain my neck and back so much.
I have gained 4 inches around my waist over the last two years and need some help to get it back to where it needs to be.

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio. You can't spot reduce, so you have to lose overall body fat and then tone your abs. I like Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack for the core workout. That's the only JM workout I like, and I think it's very effective. I wouldn't use it for a cardio workout, but a couple or few times a week for core in addition to some cardio, will work great.

Oh and her approach is not just to do a ton of crunches, which is a big reason why I like it so much.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Jackie Warner had a Crunch Free extreme abs video that I like. But as Angela4Health said....cannot spot reduce.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I agree. Cardio is the way to go. I love doing my Insanity workouts. I sometimes do other random DVDs after my Insanity workout. Not right after since I'm pretty much dead but later on.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    make sure you are paying attention to your diet. Eat clean, lift weights and do some cardio (especially intervals) and you will see results. Abs are made in the kitchen!
  • micarla1
    micarla1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Why not try cardio routines which include lots of twisting and stomach focused moves - boxercise and combat tends to be really good for this. That way you're burning off the fat as well as targeting a troubles area :) I kno you cannot spot reduce but I'd incorpirate some reverse curls, planks and russian twists. x
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I had this problem, I saw it go away with running with sprints and 30 day shred. Food wise limit sugar a lot!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I used the TaeBo DVD series a while back and straight away I could feel my core muscles working.

It uses, like boxercise etc, the basic principles of martial arts but focusses on strengthening the core. It also really helped with my posture making me stand straighter, and that helped to make my sillouette slimmer.

Pilates is also great for core muscle toning but you have to eliminate the fat too otherwise those nice core muscules will never get seen, cardio all the way for that xx