Dizzy after workout

Options
I always try to have a protein snack with my preworkout but lately (every workout for the last two weeks) I've been very dizzy and feel nautious immediately after a workout. I can barely drive home or make it to the shower without needing to lay down. I haven't been going any harder than usual, I don't think... Any ideas?

Replies

• daneisha
    daneisha Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello. That happened to me before. A trainer not my trainer but he asked me what I ate before I came in to workout and I didn't eat I just drank some green tea. He said I could be dehydrated.

Today I had a cup of coffee and felt a little off. I drank some water and I felt better.

That's just what happened for me. But it may be dehydration.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking something with or taking caffeine before your workout? Of course this will make you jittery but caffeine also dehydrates as well.. combo cannot leave you feeling great..

If you sweat a lot during your workout, you need to make sure you drink plenty of water before, during and after. Make sure you have some electrolytes as well.

You are not working out fasted so it is not reactive hypoglycemia..

But, barely being able to drive home or even make it to the shower when you do, sounds a bit serious. I assume that you do get better a some point? What does it take to get you back on your feet and how long does it take?
  • heathyyyy
    heathyyyy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen to me a few times before. I would a protein snack before my work out and then get extremely nauseous and dizzy during/after my work out. The only thing I can think of is maybe you're eating too late? I realized if I eat an hour before my work out, I get dizzy sometimes. You also might be burning off more calories/over-working?

But if not to either of those, it could be as daneisha said, dehydration.
  • lonerockz
    lonerockz Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood pressure checked? If you have low BP that can cause very similar symptoms.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you fueling yourself properly? As in, having a moderate deficit (if you're trying to lose weight) and eating back at least a portion of your exercise calories?
  • fraserkr
    fraserkr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was having problems with dizziness when working out when I was taking my blood pressure medication during the day. but, being nauseated wasn't a symptom. My gym trainer has recommended carbs before a workout then protein afterwards. I try to avoid eating too close to workout, say no more than 1 hr before, unless a very small snack. to me, yogurt seems to be a food with good macronutrient balance for pre-workout
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary please for future comment. Thank you
  • lushiie
    lushiie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Carbs before workout protein after. My fav thing to eat before a workout is some 100 calorie oatmeal or 1 cup of rolled oats add 1 tablespoon of almond butter and some hot water mix and eat 20 mins before workout I promise u won't get nauseous anymore :)