I Can't seem to stay full.

Options
senguehard
senguehard Posts: 21 Member
I've recently started running about 4x per week, since then I can't seem to keep full. I feel like I want to eat constantly, my stomach growls and my husband says I'm 'hangry'. Any tips or snack ideas out there to help me out. I'm sure my husband will thank you too.

*Side note: I can't eat bananas which is a shame because they seem like the perfect food.*

Replies

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • senguehard
    Options
    I'm eating my calories back mostly. Sometimes I finish my day with a few calories to spare, but I am trying to reduce my weight.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Do you like nuts? Almonds are good. Full of protein and fats to keep you satiated. Basically up your protein and fats and see how you do.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Eggs are nature's miracle food, a good balance of carbs, fat and protein in convenient packaging. Hard boil some and keep them in the fridge for a quick snack.
    Also, try eating a snack/meal with more carbs a couple of hours before you run? That does the trick for me.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    On days when I run I try to eat more nuts, avocados, salmon, etc. The fatty food/protein helps with the hunger. I feel your pain, I've been there!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I will echo the protein. If you will eat a snack or even your breakfast and lunch with adequate protein this will improve satiety. Chicken and eggs and peanut butter are great for me as they actually filling me up and satisfy hunger..

Yes balancing carbs, fat and protein is best for all snacks and meals, but when you are especially going for satiety, up the protein and fats.

I will also add this, sometimes my stomach does that growling thing and I am really thirsty especially if I had been sweating some. I try to drink a glass of cold water and recheck 20 minutes later. Sometimes it goes away. just a thought..
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, but there are days when I feel really hungry. So I log in walnuts, or those indiv. packets of prunes.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've found that the only time I get hungry is when I've eaten the wrong kinds of foods. For me, bagels are huge . . . if I eat a bagel in the morning, I cannot get full for the rest of the day, even if I blow away my calorie goal. There are other foods that do it, and they are all bad. I wonder if it's a blood sugar thing?

I run and I don't eat back many of the calories at all, but I also don't find that it affects my hunger at all.
  • senguehard
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    What are you actually eating, it might be the foods you're eating that make you hungry.

A lot of chicken. I might actually start introducing more salmon/seafood to my diet (thank you mistikal13). Eggs, salad, steak, brown rice/rice vermicelli, corn/assorted veggies, pitas.
    gia07 wrote: »
    I will echo the protein. If you will eat a snack or even your breakfast and lunch with adequate protein this will improve satiety. Chicken and eggs and peanut butter are great for me as they actually filling me up and satisfy hunger..

Yes balancing carbs, fat and protein is best for all snacks and meals, but when you are especially going for satiety, up the protein and fats.

I will also add this, sometimes my stomach does that growling thing and I am really thirsty especially if I had been sweating some. I try to drink a glass of cold water and recheck 20 minutes later. Sometimes it goes away. just a thought..

I'll definitely try the water idea and I haven't been eating PB. What I've been doing now mostly is trying to ignore it in hopes that it will subside.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    senguehard wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    What are you actually eating, it might be the foods you're eating that make you hungry.

A lot of chicken. I might actually start introducing more salmon/seafood to my diet (thank you mistikal13). Eggs, salad, steak, brown rice/rice vermicelli, corn/assorted veggies, pitas.
    gia07 wrote: »

I'll definitely try the water idea and I haven't been eating PB. What I've been doing now mostly is trying to ignore it in hopes that it will subside.

LOL... my pangs are 99% of the time needing water.. PB and nuts are caloric, but they will also do the job. Eat you about 2 tablespoons on some celery or even a graham cracker, or grab a handful of nuts like peanuts, pistachios (my favorite), cashews or almonds (Planters make a "hearty healthy mix nuts.. that I love)... eat them slow and enjoy!!! :):)
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I have this problem when the warmer weather hits, seem to be fine all winter but once the temps go over 65 I need more food after runs.

I personally find having a bowl of (whole grain) cereal the night before a run about an hour before bed helps. I am a morning runner, start my day with black coffee then a run and then breakfast after I'm done which is usually a good balanced meal, about 150 calories more than my typical breakfast. I also drink 24oz of water between my run and breakfast and if I need a snack which happens in the warmer weather I grab for grapes and cheese or apple and peanut butter.

I recommend keeping notes in your food diary so you can find the right mix of foods to fill your hungry spot, not everyone is the same. Good luck!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    First I would consider setting your food diary to public if you'd like detailed feedback.

There are a number of factors that can effect satiety. If I were to generalize:

- It could be a function of your caloric intake or your macronutrient composition.
    - Protein is generally the most satiating macronutrient at least to a point. Depending on your protein intake you may benefit from increasing it and furthermore you may benefit by increasing it on a meal to meal basis.
    - You may benefit by reducing snacking and increasing meal sizes. This is not a hard and fast rule but for example if you had three to four meals per day and zero to 1 snacks per day, and make sure that each meal contains ~20-40g protein (goal dependent) this may promote satiety. Granted this depends on what you WERE eating and I also want to be clear here that I'm not suggesting that EVERYONE should eat 3 to 4 meals per day. I do find that MOST people do well around this target number of feedings.
    - Food volume, palatability, energy density, and fiber content are all variables that effect satiety signaling and for this reason individual food selection is massively important (even though calories are still fundamentally driving changes in weight). So just for example if you were to compare fat free pringles (primarily carbohydrate) with broccoli the latter will promote fullness to a much greater degree because it is higher in fiber, you can eat larger volumes per calorie, it is less palatable, and it has a lower energy density. Now this isn't me telling you to go on a broccoli diet, but you should eat a good quantity of fruit and vegetables when possible and using vegetables to fill out or bulk up a meal is a good idea to promote fullness.

There are other variables as well but I'd start with the above and I'd open your food diary if you want more specific feedback.
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love avocado and granola, eggs (not together though lol) to help me stay full. Oh and tons of water
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Echo re: protein and also fiber. Fiber helps especially in conjunction with high glycemic foods (which otherwise metabolize fast, drop your blood sugar and trigger hunger again). I eat >25g fiber every day.
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your metabolism is raging after you run maybe try chugging a glass of water to fill your stomach trick yourself into thinking you were full
  • chadpoulin
    chadpoulin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Roughage...that's the ticket. Eat high fiber foods in addition to protein and you will feel full longer.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    maybe increase your daily calorie amount?
    I know when I do cardio in the morning im always hungry ALL day lol
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Change your goal to ½ pound a week.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    A lot of time being dehydrated will be mistaken for hungry so try drinking lots of water. ..ps: don't wet the bed