stuffed peppers

Options
Hi, I'm after some ideas of what ingredients can be used to stuff peppers. Can only think of rice but its quite high in calories.
Thanks

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I stuff mine with meatloaf. I use 93/7 lean ground beef so I don't have peppers full of grease at the end. Mix it with egg, ketchup, whole wheat crackers, and onion. I then bake on 350 degrees until the meatloaf is done in the middle. Sorry, I don't remember the time, but I want to say it is like 45 minutes.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I used to do mine with rice and ground beef but have switched it up now to include couscous and ground turkey. Also add in some veggies like tomatoes, zucchini and red onion. Still way yummy!
  • coffeebydesign
    Options
    black beans, fat free or low fat cheese, lean ground beef, onion, tomato, brown rice
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Turkey, FF cream cheese, peppers, tomato's, onions, boiled eggs, FF sour cream, spinach, carrots, ham, bacon, FF parmasan cheese, lol. That's the main items that come to mind.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Here's a YouTube video I made of me preparing EatingWell's smoky stuffed peppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEGjosf_d7Y
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    This is so ironic! I was cooking up several meals yesterday so I would have premade meals for the following 3 work days. One of those meals happen to be stuffed peppers! As one poster pointed out, meatloaf stuffing is great. I also used the 93/7 GB. Good luck with your pepper making.:bigsmile:
  • darcyrobillard
    Options
    filling- 1-1/2 # Hamburg (I use gound turkey), onions, salt, peper, garlic salt(or powder), Rice 1/2-3/4 cup uncooked (I use brown) 2 cans tomato sauce.

Dilute a samll amount of the sauce with water. Mix with filling, then fill peppers. Put tops on and pour sauce on top. Bake covered @ 350 for about 3 hours.

* the burger is not cooked when you put it into the peppers

This is my grandmothers recipe, so I do not have accurate measuremtns for the spices. That's how she cooks. a bit of this a bit of that. Mind you she doesn't use the lean burger but I think it's tastey in the lower fat version as well.
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    I cooked peppers last night!

I use: rice (typically Uncle Ben's spicy mexican rice pack, 2 min microwave), tomato, chili sausages (or lean ground turkey), onion, mixed herbs, dried chili, Cheyenne pepper, Nando's hot peri peri sauce, and a little Monterey jack cheese on top to hold the lid on. I bake it at gas mark 4 (not sure the F equiv.) for 40 minutes.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have a bulgar and ground turkey/beef stuffed pepper recipe that my family loves....Let me know if you want the recipe; I'll be happy to post it if there's interest.
    -LP
  • Lynniecoo
    Lynniecoo Posts: 1
    Options
    HI... I just this week had the best stuffed pepper !! It was from a diet called Dean Ornish, to be honest I know nothing about but I work in a hospital that promotes it. ANYWAY, the pepper was stuffed with rice and black beans instead of the meat. On the top was black beans cooked in mexican stewed tomatoes . It was One of the best stuffed peppers. You can break it down for the calorie content on your recipies page, and also use brown rice if you'd like. Enjoy !!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump