Best ways to run with an iPhone 6

Options
Hi all,

I use RunKeeper on my iPhone 6 to track my walking and running. When I had an iPhone 5 it was a little easier to carry around and put in an armband. The iPhone 6 is so much bigger. Plus, arm bands are really uncomfortable on me because I have big (soft) arms.

I've looked at hip bands and "fanny packs" for runners and I'm kind of convinced that they would just keep riding up until they were right under my boobs since that's pretty much where I'm my thinnest. I'm 5'1", about 197 lbs, size 18-- see my profile pic for body shape; I'm currently inbetween the pic on the left and the pic on the right :smile:

Does anybody have suggestions?

I'm also considering getting a fitbit in place of bringing my phone on runs, but only the gigantic/expensive one tracks GPS, plus I can't listen to music or hear RunKeeper prompts without my phone.

Items I've looked at:

Please help!

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Maybe a harness like for GoPro. You could always make it yourself if you are handy.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I shove mine down my bra, because I have no class whatsoever.

What about buying an armband meant for the Samsung Galaxy phones? They should be large enough to accommodate.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have the Nathan 5K. I like it.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I really don't like anything weighty or unbalanced on my arms. so I will always go for a holder at the waist.

I have XL flip belt. I've worn it between sizes 12 and 16W. At size 12, it was down on my hips (which I kind of prefer). At size 16W it was at my "waist" and by that I between stomach rolls. The flip belt works best if you have hips to stop it. Apples might have more problems with it. Only problem is that it doesn't hold water well for outside workouts. I mostly used it at the gym.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Haha same.
  • Coconutgirl78
    Coconutgirl78 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found a sports bra that has a built in pocket in the front that I can put my iPhone 6 in. So far I LOVE it but I'm not sure how I will like it when it gets hotter and I sweat more!! I might look for a case to keep my phone dry and sweat free because I love the sports bra! It's the North Face Stow-n-go II Bra and comes in xl.

I found the Bra-ket (bag) that's supposed to be sweat and heat resistant! Kinda pricey for $35 but it might be worth it because it makes taking your phone so easy when you run!

• usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Haha same.

Me too !!!! i shove it in a zip seal bag so it doesnt get all sweaty ;) lol
  • jessisgonnagetfit
    jessisgonnagetfit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the flipbelt, I'm a size 14-16 I ordered an xl and actually wish I would of just got the large. Granted it doesn't look as good on me as it does on all the models online but it def does what it is supposed to do. I wear it all the time and never have a problem
  • sassareno
    sassareno Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I also can't seem to find sports bras that fit properly, plus I think my phone would get ruined by boob sweat! :smile: I think that most companies that make activewear don't actually consider the needs of bigger people. I digress...

@KettleTO sounds like I'm just a little too big for the flip belt, which is what I assumed, but if/when I get down to a smaller size I will probably try it out.

I try out the Nathan 5K if possible to see how it goes. Keep the recommendations coming!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I love the flip belt. I hate fanny packs or anything around my waist as they always bounced and rode up and drove me nuts, but the flip belt really does stay in place. there are other brands of a similar item... Maybe they would carry your size if flipbelt doesn't have it in stock?
  • chelsmaee7
    chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was just looking for ideas last night! I have the 6 plus and couldn't imagine strapping that to my arm. I went on Pinterest though and found a bunch of DIY things for making things to go around your waist.
  • lushiie
    lushiie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nike lean running waist pack for sure!!!!!! 100% recommend also is adjustable!!!!!!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use a Running Buddy for mine when I workout and don't have pockets. They make an iPhone 6 and 6+ version here. I think they are also available on amazon.

Edited to add that it attaches via magnets not a strap.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have the medium size Flipbelt for my iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. I think that the size actually runs larger than what they say as mine still seems too big with a lot of sliding around on me when I'm running on a treadmill or outside. You might be ok with a size large or XL if they have it. I like the Flipbelt other than I should have ordered a small.
  • adpi18511
    adpi18511 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love my flip belt. Fits my iphone 6. Got a large when I was a 14. Now a 12 it's still a good size.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both use SpiBelts (the larger pocket model). They don't ride up at all, and they can be adjusted to fit most sizes. My husband has a 38-40" waist, and it fits him fine.
  • irandamay
    irandamay Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I have a SPIbelt that is large enough to accommodate the 6, but I usually carry it strapped to my hand in an Amphipod HandPod.

The SPIbelt will slide on the shiny kind of compression pants material, but it stays completely put if they are the non-shiny kind that feel more cotton-y. Even though it slides on my shiny compression pants it stops when it hits skin, and it doesn't bounce or flop around when it's full. I had 4 larger sized gel packets in mine for my half last Sunday, and even though it stuck out at the start and looked like I had a gut roll, it didn't bounce around. :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I have an amphipod hip belt. Works for iPhone 6+ and a lip gloss plus a key. I hate having it up around my waist, which is my smallest spot, so I pull it down over my hips until it stays. Looking at your pic, I'd say the same will work for you.
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions. I upgraded from a 4S to a 6+ last weekend. I used to strap the 4S to my forearm. I've been looking into a longer term solution, but in the meantime, I've clipped it on to an old 2" wide leather belt, and unexpectedely, that's worked out fantasticlly.
  • meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this the other day. I loved being able to slip my iPod nano into the roll of my shorts when I went running. Now iPods are going extinct and phones are honkin' huge! And if you drop your phone or its raining, lots of us don't have landlines anymore. I like to change songs while I run, so I'm always reaching for it. Hope you find a good solution!