Staying motivated long term?

Options
Hi all- I've been doing this off and on since January with great results so far- working out almost daily and my conditioning is good now! I've dropped 1.5 dress sizes and although I am still 20 lbs from my goal for summer, I am much closer than I was... here's my question- I feel my motivation dropping- getting a little bored with counting and food in general- and even dropping my interest in working out- I had an awesome routine worked out before and if I missed a workout I couldn't wait to get back to it- now- not so much- if I miss a workout, I'm just kinda like, "oh well"... Is this just the ebb and flow of this new lifestyle? Or am I in danger of losing my drive? I feel like it's impossible to stay as driven as I was the first couple of months- how do you all feel about it? Same? Or do some of you stay driven and stay the same intensity long term?

Replies

• marianeo
    marianeo Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! I have also been going through the same up's and downs, but try and stay motivated by changing the excercise routine a bit, or changing what I eat a bit so that I don't get bored with either. We are in this for the long haul, so it is natural that we have our ups and downs. The main thing is that we still remain on course....even if that means a few stops along the way to regroup!!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    mine wasn't really weight related. I been overweight my entire life. frankly didn't care. finding out I had diabetes II in Dec. 2009 was the kick in my butt to get off it and do something about myself. In Jan 2011 according to my doctor my AC1 was 5.1 and no longer diabetic. recently few days ago I had it again checked and AC1 is 4.8. 6 months of no diabetes, no more meds. I feel a big part of my long term motivation is kicking diabetes in the "hoo hah" and not stopping.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I think motivation is something that you work on until it becomes habit, like everything else. I believe in living each day like my life depends on it. Not trying to sound too "zen," but it's kind of a holistic approach. Sometimes, my body needs a rest day. Or maybe even three days in a row of rest. I try to listen to my body and give it what it needs in that regard, and usually, on day three, it's telling me--do something! I think it all comes down to never quitting, never giving up, never giving in, but...always "listen." You have done great so far...keep going!
  • Stephaneggs
    Stephaneggs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There must be something in the air-I have been doing this since February and was motivated, inspired, driven, etc and then we were moving, so I had all this adreneline and that kept me motivate. Over the last couple of weeks, I have really really struggled with the workouts, diet and have tried changing things and adding things, etc but I think there is still the ebb and flow of things. I have lost about 15 lbs and not sure if I am going to be able to lose more but am getting pretty tired of logging food. Sometimes I feel myself slipping backwards into old habits but I wake up everyday and try to regroup and find the motivation....I feel you and your thoughts and am digging deep within to hopefully work through this...good luck
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    I think motivation is something that you work on until it becomes habit, like everything else. I believe in living each day like my life depends on it. Not trying to sound too "zen," but it's kind of a holistic approach. Sometimes, my body needs a rest day. Or maybe even three days in a row of rest. I try to listen to my body and give it what it needs in that regard, and usually, on day three, it's telling me--do something! I think it all comes down to never quitting, never giving up, never giving in, but...always "listen." You have done great so far...keep going!

DITTO!
  • carrie_lebel
    carrie_lebel Posts: 135
    Options
    I with you. I get laid off in winter and I work in Spring and summer. So now that I am back working I am more tired and unmotivated when I get home from work. But........ then we just hired a guy who while on lunch we were just chatting and he told me that he was once was three hundred pounds and one day he said to himself that he was sick of doing it and started to run laps in his room everyday because he was embarrassed for anyone to see him run and then he progressed to working out outside etc etc. He has lost 50lbs since.. And most days he gets up at 5:00 am to work out. Bam!!!! Motivation.. So I get up early to work out before work because if he can I can. and we do the same job. Good Luck . I hope you find Motivation..
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I often question myself if I'm losing my drive on a day when I REALLY don't want to go. When I don't want to.. I do it. The results I have from being dedicated are far too worth it to me than giving in to a day of felling lazy or unmotivated. Some days I absolutely hate it, but you just do it because that's what has to be done. Honestly, it always scares me when the workout I love the most seems like torture to me, but a couple days later, I find myself eager to go. Some people have to take a mini hiatus, but for me it's the opposite. I just force Myself so I can keep what I have achieved.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Great thread! What may be happening is that when you started out with this you had a long term goal in mind that represents the final outcome you are going to achieve. You started doing the things you know you need to do to reach your long term goal and the needle started moving and that positive feedback kept you engaged at a high level for a while. Then you noticed the needle wasn't moving as quickly as you want it to, Rome wasn't built in a day and all that, and your positive feedback loop started to short circuit. The problem may be that you need to break your long term goal down into individual short term goals where you can see the needle moving quickly enough to keep you fully engaged. Try this: write your long term goal down on a piece of paper and stick it in a drawer. Then reprogram your MFP goal to something you know you can reach in the next several weeks. You will see those results happening quickly and pretty soon you will have reached that goal and you will feel great about it. Then reprogram your MFP for the next quickly achievable shorter term goal. Reaching these short term goals one by one and keeping that positive reinforcement at a high level is the secret to reaching your long term goal! We are 'wired' to set goals and reach them, so keep the faith, you'll get to where you want to be!
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    That is some excellent advise - thanks fh1951 :)
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    I feel the same EXACT way as you which is why I am up early on a Saturday morning reading posts looking for motivation. I joined in March and did great for a couple months however the last couple of weeks things have been different. I feel my motivation slipping away. I have lost interest with logging food. I am struggling to make the right food choices. I am struggling to exercise. I even lost interest in the forums which I can't believe because I was addicted at the beginning. I'm sure what we are going through is normal. Looks like you got some great advice here already. I think setting smaller goals is a good idea. Also agree we are not only doing this to lose weight but for other health reasons. For me it's high blood pressure. I am going to get off this computer and go for a walk so I guess your post helped me so hopefully that will help motivate you! :)
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    That is some excellent advice - thanks fh1951 :)

Not only that fh1951, but GREAT quote in your signature by the GREAT Joe Namath: ""I can't wait until tomorrow... 'Cause I get better looking every day." Love it!
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Broadsword, I dig your James Brown quote too! Clyde Stubblefield his drummer was the embodiment of funk...