Zumba- Calorie logging advice

Options
Hi guys,
I do an hour of Zumba at a local gym every Weds evening. How do I log the calories burnt? There isn't 'Zumba' in the exercise database so I've been putting it under 'Dancing-Aerobic, Ballet or Modern, Twist'.....would this be right or do you have any other suggestions?
Logging under that means I burn 311 cals an hour, but some websites have said you can burn up to 600 in a Zumba class.

Help!!

Replies

• mmelaniewalters
    Options
    i used to put aerobic hi impact , which gave me the best calorie rate .. i wore a hrm to my class fo ra few weeks , and now just log an average.. have made my own exercise up called it zumba ( genius) and have allowed myself 469 cals .. ( i am 39 , and weigh 150 lbs ish) hope that helps
  • CBaumgardner7
    CBaumgardner7 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I take a class also once a week and log it under high impact aerobics. :) They say the only way to know is to get a HRM but for now that is what I do.
  • skinnysinner
    Options
    I looked this up on a couple of different websites and the calories burnt range from 300-400 for a 45 minute session. I've just been logging it in as 300 or 400 depending on how hard i think i worked. Maybe it would be about 460 for an hours session? I'm not sure , I really need to invest in a HRM.
  • laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    Im 5'3 and weigh 126lbs. I go Zumba 3 times a week with my HRM and generallty burn around 580cals in an hour class, but i put jumps and extra effort into all the moves. Im pretty much purple and dripping by the end of it lol!

Hope that helps!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I use the aerobic dance modern twist and which for my size gave me 400 calories in the 45 minute class. I now have an HRM and I actually burned slightly less - 381. I think I still logged it as 400 because by the time I changed my shoes, walked to the car, and my heart rate slowed down it was 400! So, I think the above description is a fairly accurate one for me.
  • SugarHighAbbie
    Options
    Thankyou everybody for the advice :)
  • gelleebean44
    gelleebean44 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was also looking for an answer to this as I don't have a HRM yet. I've heard people burn anywhere from 450-1000 calories in a Zumba workout (which doesn't help-LOL). But I found this site:

http://sites.google.com/site/zumbacaloriesburnt

It takes your weight and how hard you were working out (low, medium or high impact) and calculates the average calories burned. It's probably better to get a HRM (which I plan to do soon) but for now, this does fine for me.

I also created my own exercise "Zumba Cardio Party" and manually log the calories burned in the 45 min workout. Based on my current weight and impact level I just log 500 calories burned (the site above says more but I'd rather error on the side of caution). Hope this helps-good luck on your journey to health! :)