Can you start Crossfit if you are unfit??

Options
I keep seeing adverts do my local Crossfit and the idea appeals to me as it's not all shiny and about the make of your work out clothes. My concern is that you need to be pretty fit to start it and I'm not?? Any thoughts please?

Replies

• kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good question....I want to know the answer too
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any exercise program is possible for people of all fitness levels ... there will be substitutions for some exercises until you build the strength and learn proper form. Doctor's clearance is a good starting place. From there, find a good gym with coaches willing to help you learn form and incorporate substitutions until you are capable of the more advanced moves. Accept the fact that some of the early workouts will kick your butt ... fight through it and get into better shape.

That applies to all workout programs, not just crossfit. All exercise plans have some level of inherent risk ... good form and progressively building up helps mitigate that. Not everyone is a marathon runner .... but learning good form, and progressing is the basis of couch to 5k type running programs. A spin class requires knowing how to set up the bike for the right fit to mitigate the risk of injury and building up capability ... some people can barely turn the pedals at low resistance for a few minutes, other humanoids ride up the mountains of France every July. Strong Lifts, and all lifting programs, require learning good technique and progressively improving. Convict Conditioning doesn't start with one handed pushups ... it builds to that from much easier exercises.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Any good crossfit coach will be able to scale the movements to your ability level. Keep in mind it will be intense, you will be sore, and you may even want to quit after a week. Scaled isn't meant to be easy, it's meant to bring it into your ability level while still pushing you.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    at 41 and 70lbs over weight your more prone to injury. I would never tell anyone they can't do something its not the way I'm built. My 2 cents eat less and do standard cardio (bike, treadmill, walking eliptical) until your in better shape. I'm just about to start crossfit and couldn't imagine doing it 60 lbs ago..
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In most cases, anyone can ultimately do anything. However, unless the main burning desire in your entire existence is to do crossfit, then it is not a good choice for a beginner. Can it be somehow scaled down for a beginner? I'm sure it can, but then it isn't crossfit anymore. So why pay the $$ for a niche specialty workout when you are just going to get the same basic instruction you could get anywhere else? It would be like hiring Michael Phelps' coach to teach you the sidestroke.

And I think it's a mistake to think that crossfit doesn't have its own elitist culture.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    IMO, learning the basics and building your body "up to" the stress it's going to take should be the first approach. Can it be done at a Crossfit gym? Sure, but could it also encourage on to push faster than one is ready? Watching the others kick butt with high intensity may have one wanting to "step up their game" when they may not be ready. That's usually when injury occurs.
    All in all the concern should be if you feel you're up to the task and can execute correctly whatever lifting program you decide to take on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Where I live, the Crossfit place touts the 'scale-ability' of the workouts. I would suggest meeting with one of the owners (or trainers) there and get a feel for it. Let them know your concerns. I do not do it regularly, but throw in some CF-style workouts occasionally to my lifting (to change it up). When I went for training on the basics, it was nice. You can even request times where the classes are smaller. Most people I've come across have been supporting and there are ALL shapes and sizes there. If you are interested, you might want to go in and see what it's about!
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I tried cross fit when I was not in the best shape. They do tell you what to do and how to scale down in that case. However, they still push you hard. Also, when you see others doing the hard stuff it's hard not to try harder, therefore, causing yourself injury. Crossfit is hard and unless you have the self control to take it really easy at first, don't do it. But if you do, try it. It's pretty cool. Needless to say, the second time I did it I was throwing up in the bathroom.
  • twistedwoman
    twistedwoman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think I will wait 3 months and build up my running and cardio and then hopefully I will be in better shape to try it.
  • vkudlock
    vkudlock Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a Crossfit coach An here to say everything is scaleable!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do crossfit even fit.....that's my take on the whole crossfit thing. Seems to stress quantity of quality and even a spokesperson for crossfit said that "even if it's bad form, if it gets you off the couch, then it's good."

That being said, I've been to a couple boxes, and it pretty much sums up what I heard about quantity over quality and the "coaches" were teaching very poor form.
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Look for a good box and know your limits. The answer is "Yes". There is a women at my box - approx. 47 years old - lost over 200 pounds. The way you prepare for Crossfit is by doing Crossfit.