Abs are made in the kitchen! MEAL PREP!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I used to do this when I competed. 12 to 16 weeks of prep. Yes the food is pretty bland and unexciting, but it's not supposed to be because it was for contest prep.
    Could I do it now? Sure, but it would be extra work because back then I was single. Now with a family and still doing the cooking, as well as family outings, it would be much more challenging.
    What most people don't know about people who compete is that they usually aren't social butterflies (with the possible exception of the gym itself) because of the extra temptation and/or having to tote their own food around all the time. Not uncommon for a competitor to always have an ice cooler in their vehicle or their own mini fridge at work.
    It's a dedicated lifestyle, albeit with the exception of the gym, can be pretty boring too. After doing it for a few years, I'd have to be pretty motivated to be that dedicated again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think that I could easily eat the same thing each day for a week. Then the next week I'd change it some. Every time I feed my dogs I wish there was some sort of human kibble that I could just eat a cup of twice a day so that I could just scoop it out and go sometimes.

That would be great. I get so tired of pre-planning and re-working to try to get all my macro and micronutrients in the right proportions, then finding all the ingredients at the grocery store, bringing it home, storing, prepping and cooking, cleaning up.... It'd be great to just have a big bowl of people chow and be done with it. It wouldn't even have to taste good. "Not gross" would be good enough.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I personally need to eat different things every day or I get super bored. Nice dedication though.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm all for doing what works for your individual goals and life, but I'd lose my mind eating such boring food over and over and over all. week. long. And since I have kids and a husband, I'd still need to cook for them so its not even a time saver.

For me, by the second or third day my little containers of food would be languishing in the fridge while I ate whatever struck my fancy. My meals are things like chicken and steak tacos or Honey Srirancha pork stir fry. I make enough to have lunch the next day for myself and, depending on the dish, for my daughter to take to school for lunch.

Oh I recently stuffed a baked sweet potato with leftover Chipotle Orange Pulled Pork, some black beans and cheese.

It was delicious.

None of these are the kind of thing that will pack up neatly and be all that good reheated a week later.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I do it once a week for a week and I love it..

• Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I dont see a ton of variety here
  • myee924
    myee924 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    no fruit no care

xoqod90ugrjo.jpg
  • myee924
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I used to do this when I competed. 12 to 16 weeks of prep. Yes the food is pretty bland and unexciting, but it's not supposed to be because it was for contest prep.
    Could I do it now? Sure, but it would be extra work because back then I was single. Now with a family and still doing the cooking, as well as family outings, it would be much more challenging.
    What most people don't know about people who compete is that they usually aren't social butterflies (with the possible exception of the gym itself) because of the extra temptation and/or having to tote their own food around all the time. Not uncommon for a competitor to always have an ice cooler in their vehicle or their own mini fridge at work.
    It's a dedicated lifestyle, albeit with the exception of the gym, can be pretty boring too. After doing it for a few years, I'd have to be pretty motivated to be that dedicated again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Accurate observation! He is competing!
  • rainenjae4558
    rainenjae4558 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The abs and obliques I can see. They're just under a stack of fat. How do I get the fat off of the abs
  • myee924
    Options
    I do it once a week for a week and I love it..

Good for you!!! I do it 2x/week for 3-4days to have the option of changing it up a bit mid-week, and I love it too!! :)
  • myee924
    Options
    The abs and obliques I can see. They're just under a stack of fat. How do I get the fat off of the abs

I would suggest eating at a safe, healthy calorie deficit to lower your overall body fat % to reveal your rock hard abs ;)
  • myee924
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    I'm all for doing what works for your individual goals and life, but I'd lose my mind eating such boring food over and over and over all. week. long. And since I have kids and a husband, I'd still need to cook for them so its not even a time saver.

For me, by the second or third day my little containers of food would be languishing in the fridge while I ate whatever struck my fancy. My meals are things like chicken and steak tacos or Honey Srirancha pork stir fry. I make enough to have lunch the next day for myself and, depending on the dish, for my daughter to take to school for lunch.

Oh I recently stuffed a baked sweet potato with leftover Chipotle Orange Pulled Pork, some black beans and cheese.

It was delicious.

None of these are the kind of thing that will pack up neatly and be all that good reheated a week later.

You're a super mom+wife!!!! Looks delish!! I love tacos too!!!! nlz2fwpi4w3t.jpg

x3hsavflk914.jpg
    gepjkj4bc9cj.jpg

My taco preps ;)
  • myee924
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    abs are made in the kitchen, sure.

Traps are made in the gym. Anyone can have abs. It takes work to get dat cobra hood.

Very true! I admire muscles!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think that I could easily eat the same thing each day for a week. Then the next week I'd change it some. Every time I feed my dogs I wish there was some sort of human kibble that I could just eat a cup of twice a day so that I could just scoop it out and go sometimes.

There is....

axsndfm4xyog.jpg

Lol :smiley:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    myee924 wrote: »
    kristydi wrote: »

It was delicious.

You're a super mom+wife!!!! Looks delish!! I love tacos too!!!! nlz2fwpi4w3t.jpg

x3hsavflk914.jpg
    gepjkj4bc9cj.jpg

My taco preps ;)
    Your food looks beautiful! Thanks for posting. I meal prep also but usually only a few meals at a time. It really helps to pre-plan and to take food to work to keep oneself on track.
  • myee924
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I can do what rabbit has posted before I.e make a large stew that you can store and heat up. That takes more effort and is more suitable to being frozen or stored for a short time.

I do get he is so dedicated and is to be applauded for how well organised he is. Useful if you are really busy or never have the time to cook. i.e if he was a truck driver or he lived in the gym.

Ding ding ding! He lives at the gym. He's a personal trainer and he's prepping for a bodybuilding contest.
  • myee924
    Options
    icanplay3 wrote: »
    I attempted the "meal prep" thing once. I watched a bunch of Youtube videos on it. I went out and bought a bunch of containers and thought it was the smartest thing ever. Then I made a week's worth ( I think abt 5 days worth, actually) of 2 different lunches/dinners to eat over those 5 days. I think by the 4th day the food tasted like 4 day old leftovers. Ick. I need food to be more flavorful and fresh. The remainder of my chicken, sweet potatoes & veggies went into the trash. I kept the containers though. Meal prep works better for me if I only do a couple meals at a time, that way I am not cooking EVERY night but I am also not eating food that's been sitting in the fridge for a week. Now I do breakfast refrigerator oatmeal, fruit/yogurt/nut parfaits for snacks, cut up fresh veggies into ziploc bags, individual portions of dips/nut butters, etc into small containers, and 2 lunches & 2 dinners into containers as well. And I have Quest protein bars for grab-n-go snacks or meal replacements just in case I get into a pinch. Single serving fruit or ice cream bars are evening treats. I do like meal prepping for a couple days worth of food at a time because if I don't have anything prepared I fall prey to restaurant/take-out food. haha

Awesome!!!! I guess it's worth mentioning that the chicken, sweet potato, veggie meal prep diet is usually aimed toward bodybuilders (like the person pictured).
    So great you found what works for you!
    & I love quest bars! :smiley:
  • myee924
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Your food looks beautiful! Thanks for posting. I meal prep also but usually only a few meals at a time. It really helps to pre-plan and to take food to work to keep oneself on track.

Aw thank you!!! & good job!! I'm sure you're doing great!
  • acksaysbillthecat1
    acksaysbillthecat1 Posts: 17 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wow, everyone bashing on this person is just absurd! Good for you and your client. We should be helping and supporting each other. If you don't like it, then do it your way and stop throwing someone else under the bus.