Hello, 62 and needing to talk to others

Options
I am 62 years old, my husband passed away 6 years ago and I put on a lot of weight. Two years ago, I weighed 90 kilos, I got to 66 Kilos but have put back 4 of those. I haven't been able to lose any weight for the last 6 weeks. I use MFP every day and I also go to the gym, I do weight training 3 times a week, cardio twice a week and have just started walking 5Kms on Saturday mornings with a friend. I would really like to lose more weight as I am only 147cms tall and my PT says that I should weigh about 60, but I am finding it really hard. I watch what I eat and log it but nothing seems to be working, Can someone tell me why? also, I would really love to chat to like minded people Thank you.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • njlosingweight
    njlosingweight Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey othernanny. I'm 62 for at least 2 more weeks so I can relate to doing all the exercise and eating well but still not losing as fast as I want. With all your activity and not losing then you will have to look at your calorie goal and see if that needs adjustment. Then there is always the chance your body is going into "starvation" mode and is clinging to the calories. In that case you would actually need to increase your calories a little. First thing I would do is cut the calories a wee bit. Good luck.
  • LorraineDawnConrad
    LorraineDawnConrad Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Would really have to see what you are eating can you turn your weight and your height into inches and pounds? Sometimes if you work out too much it will do the opposite because it will be burning muscle not fat
  • eddiecoffin1
    eddiecoffin1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe start paying more attention to your macros might help, there might be some room for improvement there as you're already eating an adequate amount of calories.
  • othernanny
    othernanny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am going to check if my calorie goal needs adjustment and see if that makes a difference. What are macros?
  • CherylC046
    CherylC046 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi sometimes working out too much builds muscle and add muscle weight. Try losing more body fat before putting on the muscle weight.
  • othernanny
    Options
    Thanks CherylCO46, I am going to talk to my PT tomorrow and see if we can work something out.
  • debbiesteinman
    debbiesteinman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi othernanny I am 59 and am going through the exact difficulty with weight loss. I think it is our age and post menopausal hormone depletion. I am going to see my doctor later today and have a talk with him. I also do weight & strength training with a personal trainer 3 times a week and cardio, High Intensity Interval Training(HIIT) and walk 2.8 km to and from the gym. I recently stopped one Blood Pressure medication because it put a brake on my heart rate and also causes weight gain. I am stronger and do feel much more energetic but this fat just will not budge. My food intake sticks around 1000-1400 calories a day and I try to keep carbs under 100 and sugar below 40g. I really want this weight off and really hope there is an answer.
  • othernanny
    Options
    Hi Debbie, your workout sounds very similar to mine. I have spoken to my PT and we have decided to include more cardio in the form of bike riding and stationary rowing and less strength training and see if it makes a difference. Will be starting the new routine next Monday. Still going for my 5K walk on Saturday morning too.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and have hit plateaus before...you have to be patient and MAKE SURE you are logging EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth and that you are logging ACCURATELY. I've lost 93 pounds so it CAN be done. Also, if you're close to goal it will take longer and longer to get there. Realize that once you do reach your goal you still have to log and try to exercise or it will come back in a flash! Stay focused and determined and it will come off. Losing 93 pounds took me over a year and a half. Let's stop blaming it on age and menopause.